Wednesday, March 7, 2012

On Beards

I have many thoughts about beards.  It's rare day that my husband isn't sporting some sort of facial hair.  Beards, sideburns, goatees and Van Dykes are "in my face" all the time.

And I love it.

When my husband is clean shaven, he's really cute and I still adore him endlessly because he's my Dustin, but I REALLY like it when he's sporting some facial hair. It's darned sexy.

I have these thoughts about my husband and his beard off and on all the time, but just now, I was watching a music video where two men had scruffy beards. This set a train of thought in motion this morning and I realized one of the reasons I like facial hair so much is it's so definitively MAN.  It's something I'll never have.  Perhaps it sounds silly, but the fact that I'll always have a soft face with a delicate jaw and my husband has to make a daily choice to shave or deal with the resulting scruff (YUM!) on his strong jaw stirs the same feelings I wrote about here.  I love that.  Maybe that makes no sense to anyone but me, but facial hair is just so... quintessentially man.  

Don't confuse my love of beards with a love of all forms of facial hair.  Check out this hilarious website I discovered as I pondered this post.  The La Souvarov... NOT my favorite style.  In fact, a few months ago, about thirty or so minutes before Dustin and I were supposed to go to dinner with a big group of friends, he walked out of the bathroom with this face-do:


My friend, when commenting on this pic, said, "I am glad that we have the "stache" documented for all to remember the legendary way to really get under Clancy's skin!"

I was LIVID that Dustin shaved this into his face mere minutes before we went out with friends.  I wouldn't even look at him.

I did get over it, eventually.  I had to beg divine intervention to do so.  Seriously.  I prayed that I could let it go and just have a great night out.  God is merciful and kind and I actually felt an immediate lightening of my anger after my petition.

I know.  I'm crazy.  Maybe I was PMSy?  That sounds like a good excuse.

The point is that not all facial hair is created equal, in my opinion.  I love me a Van Dyke or a nice scruff-beard with a clean neck.  I don't love the neck hair.  Things need to be tidy.  I even love when Dust goes a little crazy and shave in some mutton chops.  When he is clean-shaven, I like him to leave sideburns.

I try very hard not to dictate what he shaves, but it's really hard for me to keep my mouth shut (or pucker up for a kiss) when I don't like his current choice of face-do.

Aren't you glad you aren't my husband?  Poor guy.

:-)

This ends my thoughts on beards.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I'm not a huge fan of facial hair just because it hurts to kiss. Or at least that has been my experience. Imthinkmits hilarious you prayed about Dustin's facial hair. Cracks me up!

Lauren said...

Well said miss clancy pants...
Last summer, I made Nathan grow out his facial hair. It was patchy and mostly his moustache grew in. He hated it. His parents happened to be visiting that week and they asked him what was wrong with him. Ha! He blamed me, of course.
You should take a bunch of pics of Dustin's different face-dos and then make them an animated gif. That would be awesome mcpossum.

Rachel Chick said...

Oh clanc. There are so many ways we are similar. This is yet another. I love manly facial hair. I also agree that SOME styles are definitely NOT SEXY. Nels shaved a doosey years ago and I couldn't even look at him, he looked so ridiculous!

Genene said...

For the man I kiss & rub cheeks with it's clean shaven all the way for me! Some facial hair do's are better than others for me, that is, when I'm looking at them on some other man than my hunny). This pic of D is proly my least favorite style :-/ Kinda makes his face look chubby AND he looks like a greaser I knew 35 years ago that gave me the creeps really bad :-P Love you Dustin.... just not this beardy/burns thing

Emily said...

Bahahhaaaaaaa! You are the best, as always....

Mags said...

Oh...I'm with ya on this one sister. B1 is SO hot with his beard and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Every now and then he shaves it completely off to just start over and I jump every time I see him. He's still my gorgeous man, but just not the same. I've asked for advance warning now so that I can prepare myself. LOL...the other day he shaved and popped his head in the room by hiding his face from the eyes down and slowly revealed his nakedness.

At least he's sensitive to my needs. LOL!!

Travis Cody said...

I must show this post to Pam. She often wonders whether I'll grow the goatee for awhile. So I do because she asks me.

I guess I'm kind of indifferent to my facial hair. I'm usually clean shaven, but that's mostly because my electric razor glides so nicely over my face.

Rachel Chick said...

Just read over this again . . . face-do. That's so funny. I lurv you.