Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Zandy


When he was about twelve or thirteen years old, my brother started playing the guitar.  I remember so clearly listening to him on my dad's Gibson Firebird electric six-string strumming out "On Top of old Smokey".  This was the first song he learned, if memory serves.

My dad taught him the basics and then Zandy took off.  He would spend hours and hours in his room every day playing the guitar.  By the time he was 15 or 16, he was really good.  One of my favorite things to do was to knock on his door, sit on his floor and watch him play.  I did it a lot and I loved it.  I don't really remember talking to him much during this time, just listening and occasionally singing along with something.

I brought my guitar (that I'm not very good at... YET!) over to my parents house when he and his family were here for New Year's a couple weeks ago.  He picked it up and tuned it and, in spite of not playing this song for a long time, whipped out a little Auld Lang Syne to ring in the New Year.   

He's pretty amazing.  You can imagine, with just a bit of practice, he plays this flawlessly and it's still one of my favorite things to sit and listen to him playing the guitar.

♥ Love you, Z.  





1 comment:

lynsey said...

there is something about that song....when it's done well, it makes me cry. every time.

and that was beautiful. now i think our musician brothers should meet, i think they would be insta-friends too. one step at a time though, yes?