Friday, January 18, 2013

Regarding Rice

There are two types of people in this world.  Those who can cook rice, and those who can't.

I don't understand why this is so, but it is.

I sit in the camp of those who can. I make it in a pot on the stove.  I have a friend who can make rice, but cannot fathom the idea of making it in a pot on the stove.  She once asked me how it was possible to cook rice without a rice cooker.

I don't get it.

My darling Dustin is of the other camp.  The non-rice cookers.

Tonight he inadvertently made rice soup.  I blew my top* and got irrationally, insanely, and ridiculously upset about the incident.  I sloshed the rice-soup out of the pot onto the stove and splashed it up onto the wall because I was stirring it with a mad fury that was indescribable.  I felt like a volcano with no control over my emotions.  A part of my brain was still rational. Every time Mr. Rational tried to pipe up and talk it out with Psychosis, Psychosis would turn into that Venom thing on Spiderman 3 and annihilate the genteel Mr. Rational who was just trying to smooth things over.


image source

I did actually get calmed down after the rice debacle and even had some drop-in house guests with whom I sat and visited congenially with for quite a few minutes.

But just a short half hour later, Psychosis was back at it and I found myself jumping up and down like a three year old, followed by a slammed door and an ear-piercing scream that left my throat hurting for the next several hours.

So, yeah.  Not really my best day today.

But, I can cook rice.


*CSI was called in and they dusted for prints.  PMS was reportedly on the scene tonight and had a hand in said events.  

7 comments:

stevie kay said...

I keep posting comments and they keep disappearing. So apologies in advance if you suddenly have five from me!

What about those who are able to cook rice in a pot, but never do since a rice cooker does not need to be watched, and one can ignore it indefinitely (within reason, obviously)?

meldoo said...

Haha! This makes me laugh, because I make it in a pot all the time, and my sister, who uses a rice cooker, asked, "Doesn't it burn?" I have yet to have it burn, nor do I watch it. I just follow the directions. But, I'm glad to see that not only do we have rice cooking abilities in common, but we also have a thread of psychosis, as well. I was not very nice last weekend and could not figure out what my husband was doing wrong that was annoying me so much!!

meldoo said...

Oh, this is Melinda, by the way!

Rachel Chick said...

I've met those people before. It's weird. I've been that creature you described before. Bless those saintly husbands! :)

Kristin said...

I love this post! It makes me feel better about myself. :) PMS has been visiting my house recently too and I am NOT liking it... at all! I'm almost wishing I hadn't stopped nursing because of it. I forgot how unpleasant this is.

ClancyPants said...

Stevie... to those I say, "LAZY!" but that might just be the PMS talking. ;-)

Travis Cody said...

I guess it depends on how particular you are about rice. I can make Minute Rice perfectly every time.