Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Flow

Self-awareness, as everything else in life, has an current, a flow. 
At times, all rapids and whirlpools, it carries me faster than I'd choose on my own and often through frightening and dangerous waters.  If I let go of my fear, the ride can be exhilerating, though I may come out crying at the end. 

As all rapids eventually find a calm, so do my own personal rivers of thought. 

Those calm places often look placid and smooth, yet upon submersion I find that the current is stronger than I realized. It is then I am faced with a choice; tread water, swim hard or relax and float and let the current carry me where it may. 

There are other times where I stand on the shore and watch the current and wonder at the hinting surface-nuances of the more powerful forces below.  I know there are things I'm not seeing or feeling because I choose to stay out of the water. 

And there are other times where I walk away from the water all together. 

But I know I'll always come back.

7 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I've always enjoyed water as a life metaphor. You've used it well here.

As to the feeling, I get it.

I hope you are enjoying all the wonderful things about your family while you float and drift and swim and tread.

stevie kay said...

Off the topic, but I LOVE your header!

Clancypants said...

Thanks, Trav and Stevie! :)

lynsey said...

oooh, i like this one. i love when people write in a way that i may have no idea what they're referring to, but i can completely relate.

as to my life lately...well, it has consisted of continual waves that ebb & flow in their forcefulness. but luckily i am continually finding my constant life raft, that shows up & reminds me it's constantly there, at just the right moment. so that i can handle each wave as it comes and stay face up. :)

triplej said...

Very good post...love the way it makes me think!

Genene said...

NICE!!!

Genene said...

PS This post made me think of the time I got a deeper meaning out of Row,Row,Row,your boat, GENTLY UP the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a DREAM!