Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rohan the Alien

My Rohan currently has an obsession with aliens.  He talks about them constantly.  He draws them incessantly. 

He has told me several times that he wishes he were an alien.  Today he asked me, "Mom, if I turned into an alien, would you be scared of me?"

I replied, "If I knew it was you, I wouldn't be."

He considered that for a bit and then said, "I could make a badge that I wear that says that I'm Rohan, and then you would know it was me." 

I told him that sounded like a pretty good plan.  He asked me again, "But would you be scared of me?"

"Well, do you think you would be a pretty scary alien?"  I responded.

"Probably.  And I don't know if you would know it was me." he said, with some concern.

I asked him if he thought he would turn into an alien when I was watching or if it would be sometime when I was not looking.  If I was watching, then I would know that he had turned and I wouldn't be scared of him because I would know that he was my son.  But I might be a little scared if I didn't happen to observe this transformation to alien.  But if there was some way he could let me know that it was him, I'd probably be ok knowing my son was an alien. 

He looked very thoughtful and not a little worried. 

He explained to me then that it probably wouldn't be right to have a mom that was scared of her son and that he wanted me to be sure that he's my son. 

"And so, I don't think I'll become an alien, Mom."

I told him that was ok with me too.

5 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

Ah! I love the way kids think!! LOL! What a great kid. Honestly we loved having him over the other day --- send over your little alien any time! :)

Kristin said...

Very thoughtful! He sounds like an impressive little guy.

Genene said...

I love the way he thinks things out! He's such an awesome kid! Dang cute too!

♥♥♥

Polly said...

Good thinking. I love the thought process in these strange conversations we have with children when they are so young.
:)

Maria Hart said...

You need to get that boy, "I love you, Stinky Face" - about a little boy who wonders what would happen if he turned into all sorts of different creatures. One is an alien. Love it. Get it.