Friday, February 4, 2011

Cluttered

I wrote the other day about my Google Reader issues.  (P.S. Thanks to all y’all who suggested I stop following the blogs I was trying to ditch.  It worked!  So far anyway…)  I still track a lot of blogs, and I love reading them.  A couple I still subscribe to are crafty/furniture-revampy/creative blogs.  I love to read them.  Admittedly, I’m a little addicted to them.  I can link-chase through blogs for hours if I’m not careful.  You know, look at one blog that someone linked and then get drawn in and scour it for a while, and then link to another blog… scour, repeat.  It’s dangerous.

One of the problems I’ve found (aside from draining hours as easily as I drain my tub) is that I create brain-clutter for myself.  I look at these blogs and think, I could do that!  And then I think about it some more.  And I think a little more.  And then I see some piece of furniture at a thrift store and I think, HEY! I could fix that up just like ___________ (insert your favorite amazing blogger/furniture restore-er)!  And sometimes I actually buy the piece.  And then I let it sit for a hundred years, all the while I think about it and know it’s there on the backburner waiting to be done.  Think, think, think. 

I bet if I just got down and dirty and did the dang project I would use about 80% less energy.  Maybe even 90%.  That is some serious energy reduction.  Do you think I could get some sort of grant for that?  Is there a “carbon footprint” from brain energy expended?

Anyway, I think I’m trying to say that I should either stop reading these dang blogs or do something about it.  I would love it to be the latter.  There’s great satisfaction that comes from actually creating something with my hands.  *Sigh*

So, for all of you saying to yourself, “THEN JUST DOOOOO IT, CLANCY!!!”  I say, “OK?” 

I’m scared.  But I’m going to post something next week that I either made or revamped or finally finished.   Mmmkay?  And since I’m the kind of girl who works best under pressure, I’m going to proclaim a deadline to the world. 

SATURDAY next. 

I can’t tell you how this terrifies me.  But it’s about growth, right?  And I’m not waitin’ for spring.  I am a greenhouse, growing right on through those subzero temperatures.  (Like –19 on Wednesday… yuck.)

3 comments:

Travis Cody said...

No need to be scared. Either do it or don't, but do it or don't because you want to...not because you think you have to.

Have fun! That's what hobbies are all about.

Genene said...

GO CLANK!!!!

I totally understand (now don't I!) ;-) I can't wait to see what you choose to do & or finish. Then you can come help me do too! hmmmMMMM?

Ginny said...

i loved the energy footprint idea...i spend so much energy anticipating.

can't wait for saturday next!!! :-)