Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Concrete...

Our basement is largely unfinished.  Remember back about a year ago when we finished the two bedrooms in my basement?  That was a great day.  Now, the time is upon us where we should be able to finish the family room and the bathroom and the hallway too (or, in other words... all the other rooms in our basement)!!!  Isn't that exciting?  I think so.

As I'm writing this post, my Ella is wearing my Rollerblades (she wears mine because she doesn't have any of her own because her feet grow like mad.  MAD, I tell you!  The child is seven years old and she wears a size 4 or 5.  I wore a size 5 when I was in 5th grade... she's in 2nd!).  She is wearing my blades and zooming from her [finished] room, through the [unfinished] family room, down the [unfinished] hall and into Mac's [finished] bedroom.  My children have done this every day for the past month or two... strapped on their blades and zoomed around on our concrete, unfinished floors.  What a blessing this has been through the dreary months of winter when outside play on concrete sidewalks is just a memory, and the dream of Spring dances in front of our closed eyes as we cuddle in front of gas-forced-air heat.   


If that wasn't enough, Rohan spent a good hour yesterday doing drawings with sidewalk chalk on our concrete basement floors while Mac and I were doing school.  We've had a few ants in our basement as the weather is starting to change and Roh drew "traps" for them in addition to a large, Rohan-sized arrow that pointed toward the invaders with the word "DEAD" written after the arrow.  He had to let the pesky ants know that their fate was sealed...

And so, when the time comes (soon!) to enjoy carpeted floors and real walls rather than our own in-home skating rink/chalk-drawing board, it will be a bittersweet thing.

But mostly sweet.

6 comments:

Elena said...

I had those same bitter sweet thoughts about putting carpet down in the basement. It was SO nice to not have to worry about anything. Marker, paint, chalk, rollerblades...:) I think every home in Idaho should just come with one giant concrete room meant only for winter play. Good luck with the finishing and the new baby soon to come!

Travis said...

Sounds like a huge basement. And a fun one!

Clancy Pants said...

Travis... not huge, but fun indeed! :)

Shanana said...

I sure hope they don't try to keep using the floors like a rink/drawing board after the concrete disappears. :-)

Dang, I've missed blogging! Glad to "see" you again!

triplej said...

Don't forget to take pictures! Phil and I had a mostly unfinished basement to play in when we were young and we drew on everything (studs, cement, drywall, cinderblock, insulation) and had roller skating races. There are no pictures of the unfinished basement where a lot of fond memories reside!

Ginny said...

ahhh...my one solace to the fact that we stopped at the pre-carpet stage as well. I love hearing my boys dribbling their basketballs on the concrete in the dead of winter.

although i am finding myself feeling jealous you are moving on to that "final" phase!! :-)