Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happenings

Yesterday I was talking with a friend of mine, Beckie, who is one of the most ambitious and creative people I've ever had the pleasure to know.  I would tell you to go look at her blog and see all the projects she is ALWAYS doing, but she's a private blogger, so you'll just have to take my word for it.  She's amazing. 

Beckie was telling me yesterday how she's redecorating her boys' bedroom.  Stars Wars themed.  Too cool!  She proceeded to list all the things she was doing to redecorate and telling me about the amazing deals she found on fabric, bedspreads, pillows (which she's having someone embroider "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." on them!), and telling me about the paint and color schemes she's laid out.  As she spoke (on the phone) I had a vision of Beckie on one of those redesign-your-space-on-a-budget type of shows.  Trading Spaces is coming to mind, but maybe that show isn't even on anymore?  I don't know as I don't have TV.  Anyway, I said as much to her that she should have her own show.  She might have thought I was joking, but I was deadly serious.  I wonder if I could be her first "victim"?  My house needs some serious love in the decorating department.

Anyway, the point to all this is that when I told her this, she told me it's just her hobby.  Her house is a canvas and she is the artist.  It's always beautiful and it's always morphing into the next awesome project.  If I'm being honest with myself, I feel twinges of jealousy and that self-deprecating voice in my head starts yapping when I talk to Beckie about (or see) her latest project.  I wish I had some of her creativity!  And her motivation.  I don't do the decorating thing very well.  Maybe I would if I ever gave myself the chance, but it just never seems to be a priority as there's always something else pulling at my time and my finances.  And, as long as I'm being honest, I will say that I don't do motivation well either, which is a requirement for projects like Beckie does.  I'm a procrastinator through and through and I seem to function best and get the most done with a looming deadline to spur me along.  

Ok, I'm getting off track again.  Have I ever mentioned I'm a sucker for tangents too?  My husband (among others) gets very frustrated when I'm telling a story because I start telling five other stories amid the first story I started.  Kinda like right now, how I'm telling you about tangents.  It doesn't take much.  Anything shiny and I'm distracted!  (At least that's what Dustin says, in jests of love.)

So, the real point is that, in talking to Beckie, I started to wonder what I have been doing lately?  I voiced that thought aloud and started to say how I blog a lot, but then I stopped myself mid-sentence, because, no, I don't really do much of that lately, do I?  I haven't seen my friends much.  I haven't been cleaning much.  I haven't been doing anything much and I'm really not sure what it is that I do all the time!  Beckie pointed out that I do homeschool my son, and there's truth in her words.  That does take up a large chunk of my time, energy and focus, but I feel like there should be more.  I should have something to show for the end of the day, right?  Something for me? 

So, that's been on my mind.  I've been trying to figure out what it is I do all the time.  I've decided, since it's a new year and all that...(I'm not much of a goal setter, if you  haven't guessed)...  I'll try blogging again!  I might never be the blogger I once was.  I might never have that daily muse come and write essays across the parchment of my mind, but I can try, darn it! 

So, I think I'll try to blog a little more.  Blog about what's been happening around my house, in my life and in my brain for the last few weeks (months... whatever...) 

What I'm trying to say is stick around a while!  Be on the lookout for more postings on this, here, blog.

5 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

I can't believe that you don't think that you've been doing much! :) That's so silly, clancy. You HAVE been homeschooling your son. It's probably the #2 reason that I don't homeschool: because it would take up all my time and energy. At this point, since I haven't felt particularly inspired to do so (reason #1), I just wouldn't be willing to give up the time. -- My time. I love "my time". Even if it's spent cleaning or doing laundry. Or reading boring books. --- You are pretty much the Full-time teacher of a 9 year old boy! (He is nine, right? whatever, you get the point.) I'm not trying to play a pick-me-up game here for you, because I hate it when I voice any kind of negative thought and then suddenly I get a flood of "no you're nots!" I'm just saying, that what you are so lovingly doing for your son IS a huge sacrifice! On top of that, we just finished up Christmas, which kept you incredibly occupied, my dear. Remember? :) You silly Clancy.

So. On an entirely different tangent, :) do you want to come hang out tonight? :) Nels is going to be home for dinner and then have to leave to work --- again. Do you want to come play with me? Or talk? Or watch a movie? Or see how funny I look when I walk on a treadmill? --- which I did for the first time in many months a few days ago? :) This is one of the first sparks of felt of social neediness in a while. Let's capitalize! :)

Rachel Chick said...

Oh yeah. I'm really excited that you're going to be blogging more! I love your blog. I love your thoughts. I'd love to hear them more! :)

Holly said...

People who don't do the tangent thing don't realize how easy it is to get sidetracked. I'm the same way you are. While telling my husband a story I'll start several others often forgetting what I initially started telling him until he prompts me to finish that story. He can't understand it, but I don't think I'm going to change anytime soon. Hopefully these guys will keep being patient and "understanding" with us!

Kristin said...

Let's not forget that you've been building a baby and that often sucks all sorts of energy out of you.

The Wolfs said...

Clancy you are so cute and way to kind. Thank you for such a nice tribute. To say it is a passion is well an understament on my part but if you would every like some help i would be more than happy to help you. I love that you made a goal to start blogging more along with taking care of your fam, homeschooling, crushing on your hubby and making a baby see look at you go!!!! so proud of yoU!