Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Rant

I love my sister.  Dearly.  She is wonderful, creative, thoughtful and fun.  She has a knack for making things beautiful.  She also has a weakness for Webkinz.

For any of you who might not know what a "Webkinz" is... a Webkinz is simply a stuffed animal.  Upon purchasing said animal you open a little thing attached to their ear, neck, leg, waist... (I don't really know what part it's attached to because, unlike my sister, I avoid Webkinz at all costs)... that has a code on it.  This code gets you into a "virtual world" for your new pet.  My sister's darling children have owned a Webkinz, or perhaps several Webkinz pets for a few years now.  My sister thinks it's great fun and loves to help her children take care of their "pet" in the "virtual world". 

For several years (probably since she bought her first "pets") my sister has told me that I should get these for my kids and I've resisted in every manner possible.  I have even told her that I don't need any other reason for my children to want to get onto some think-for-you, creativity-sapping electronic device (in this case, the computer) and exisit, even for a little bit, in some non-physical plane that is NOT reality (ie., the Webkinz world).  They get enough of that with our Wii that I don't let them play very often.

So, mid-December, my sister called me several times while I was in a movie theater.  I had my phone on vibrate, so I didn't hear the calls and my phone was in my purse so I didn't see the calls either.  When I got out of the theater, I noticed her missed calls and called her back.  She told me that she had been in a store and they had Webkinz for only $5 and she was wondering if she could get one for a gift for each my children.  She remembered that I didn't really want them for my kids, hence the calling, but since she couldn't get a hold of me, she made an executive decision and bought them anyway.  I'm not gonna lie, this announcement made my blood boil a little bit.  I suppose I could've told her she needed to take them back to the store, but that's not my style.  It's a gift, after all, and she loves them but doesn't understand why I don't want them in my life.  So, I conceded.  The gifts were given this last weekend. 

My children flipped out.  They were so excited.  I was not.

Their cousins helped them log on and set up their world.  They played on it some while they were at my mom's house over the weekend.  Whatever. 

This year I have suffered a severe post-Christmas crash.  I pushed myself beyond my limits for several weeks, trying to do too much and not getting enough sleep in the process, not to mention the fact that I'm growing another human being in my body, which tends to sap energy.  I have felt groggy every morning (including Christmas morning) and felt as though I could sleep until noon each day.  (I haven't, but waking daily has been a serious challenge) 

With that preface: Ella, upon waking this morning, came and climbed in my bed.  This is normally a sweet thing.  I love to converse with her in the mornings.  But I was downright grumpy today as she tried to talk to me.  And one of the first thing out of her mouth was something about how she needed to get online and feed "Marci" (her Webkinz) or Marci would die.  Seriously?  Your stuffed animal's electronic persona will die?  I had no tolerance for it.  I told her she better wait until I was a little more awake (like in a non-horizontal position) to talk to me about that. 


Grrrr....

I guess this is where I get to assert my position as "Mother" and just tell them too bad.  Your little pet will have to live on whatever they get with a "once every couple weeks" visit online. 

And, just for the record, I'm not mad at my sister.  She made her choice to give them to my kids and I made my choice to NOT tell her to take them back.  I now get to choose to be a "mean mom" who let's virtual pets go skeletal with malnutrition and neglect. 

I just feel better for the telling of the story, so thanks for listening, Blog. 

11 comments:

stevie kay said...

My MIL gave them to both of my kids (yes, even the 7 month old). I doubt we'll ever do the whole internet part. They're just cuddly stuffies for all my kids know.

Jill said...

i regret letting my kid have one. i totally agree with u, i could less if they get hungry, die, etc. i wish kids would not get introduced to those kinds of things at such a young age, my five year old used to play with the legos and other great toys until he found out about video games and internet. grrr

Rachel Chick said...

I hear ya. I hate that kind of stuff. and just so you know, Hazel got a Webkinz last year for her birthday, she's probably only "logged on" a total of maybe 4 or 5 times in that year and a half and her little kitty was still alive last time I checked ---- which was probably 5 months ago . . . :) I have the same feelings as you about kids (and anyone) getting caught up in some silly virtual world. Really serious feelings. I hate it and I refuse to have it be something that is brought into our home in any large measure.

Sorry about your "crash". :( Maybe we should stop by and give you a pick me up today! :) --- If you're going to be around . . .

Kristin said...

Argh!

I wish we lived closer, then I could invite your kids over and let you take a nap. They're still invited, however. Do you think it's worth the drive?

Mags said...

For the record, I'd be angry. You're a better person than I!!

PS. I've been reading, just not coming by. Shame on me...sorry. :(

Happy New Year!!!!

The Wolfs said...

Clancy pantsy oh how i have missed you - i hear you on learning to be the mom i think - i think I am finally getting it down at least I hope it is hard but hey when you don't want your kids to be a young online guppy then you have to be a mean mom!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dimick's said...

I'm having a hard time understanding how in the heck you are not enthusiastic about letting Ella feed her Webbanise-thing :)
Especially when the thing has the most beautiful name in the world-what the heck????
HA HA
I love ya

Dimick's said...

p.s. Uh, Thanks Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous for your generous and thoughtul input.

Clancy Pants said...

Yeah, Marci... I was just looking at that "Anonymous" and wondering what the heck that's about?! I don't know who that could be, but it was weird. Especially because I've thought for a long time that my new stuff just mostly sucks compared to my "old stuff"... seeing how my new stuff only occurs once every week or two and my old stuff happened every day. :)

Polly said...

lol nice rant. our kids don't have webkins, but they do have facebook...that's plenty.

the world is full of "stuff" to enrich us, entertain us, help us grow, free up time, etc...it's our job to try to maintain a balance ... moms have to find the balance not only for themselves, but help their kids maintain a balance that will best help them...good luck.

:)