Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pontifications on Cereal

This is the 401st post on this little blog. Can you believe I had 401 things to say! Wow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a cereal junkie. I love cereal. Yesterday I ate it for breakfast AND lunch. Very healthy choice, I must say.

I, unfortunately have also passed this love on to my children. I say unfortunately, but it's not entirely unfortunate. Just think if they didn't like cereal! I'd have to make them a real breakfast every morning. *gasp!* I struggle with making a real dinner at night. That would be problematic.

I will tell you what is unfortunate about this situation. Cereal is not the cheapest thing to eat for breakfast. Eggs would likely be cheaper. Oatmeal, definitely cheaper. I've thought I should define things a little bit regarding the cereal. I've thought I should tell the kids I will buy ___________ number of boxes per week and if they eat it all, then they don't get more until the next week. Good idea, huh? But the flaw in that plan is this: when the cereal runs out, there's one grown-up cereal junkie who has the power to run her little butt to the store and buy some more. And that is exactly what she does.

Post Cranberry Almond Crunch is my favorite, usually. I'm a big fan of Bran Flakes and Frosted Mini Wheats as well. Rice Chex, and Kix hit the spot. And with all of my pregnancies, Cheerios were my lifeline in the first trimester when sickness reigned and nothing sounded good.

Rohan lives for Life. Mac loves Special K. Ella will eat whatever suits her fancy that day, but she seems to ask for Frosted Mini Wheats the most.

I think we're winning Dustin over to the dark side. Together he and I will rule the cereal universe with our children. Although... Dustin loves Grape Nuts and they make his breath smell like dog food. If he eats them too much, I might have to destroy him. But, lucky for me (and him!), bwwaahahahaha, I'm the one who does the shopping!

11 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

:) :) I love your blog!

Holly said...

My grandma always eats Kix with some cream added and a little sugar sprinkled over the top. It's actually amazingly good, even if it's not the healthiest thing. =)

Travis said...

Me too on the cereal, but I don't care for milk. So I shall reveal my quirk. Ready?

I buy cereal and a fresh carton/jug of milk and I eat cereal for two days while the milk is still fresh. On the third day, no more cereal until we buy fresh milk.

Wierd eh?

Clancy Pants said...

Travis...
That is hilarious!! What does fresh milk mean? Fresh from the dairy?

The Beckstroms said...

You have explained exactly how I feel about cereal as well! If only I could put things into words like you. But we sure do enjoy similar selections...the bran flakes and mini wheats, and just bought more chex today. A staple always, but, yes especially during pregnancy for me. I do have to say I am with Dustin though and LOVE grapenuts as well.
Once there was a special on the Discovery Channel about cereal and I really wish I had taped it. I was fascinated...nerdy I know, but I can't deny it...I have an addiction!

larriecampbell said...

I love, adore, dream about, make future plans with... CEREAL! But mine comes in the form of 99% sugar 1% other stuff. Even when I eat rice krispies, I put the sugar bowl next to me and re-sugar the cereal after I eat each layer. SO HEALTHY!
Loved this post, too. Your love for cereal is just another fabulous quality of my friend Clancy!

larriecampbell said...

I love, adore, dream about, make future plans with... CEREAL! But mine comes in the form of 99% sugar 1% other stuff. Even when I eat rice krispies, I put the sugar bowl next to me and re-sugar the cereal after I eat each layer. SO HEALTHY!
Loved this post, too. Your love for cereal is just another fabulous quality of my friend Clancy!

larriecampbell said...

Awesome. It posted my comments twice. THAT'S how much I love cereal... and this post. Also, it makes it look like you have just that many more comments. Good deal.

Genene said...

LOLOLOL, I'm laughing all over the place at these comments. Larrie you're so funny!

I used to LOVE cereal too. Something happened. I can't eat it anymore without feeling a little ill. Only if I eat it with milk though. I can drink milk plain, I can eat cereal plain but put them together & .... blech... It takes me several hours to feel better.

When I DID eat cereal, I like to re-sugar each layer! Larrie, hi five on that one.

I love the dog breath Grape Nuts story too! Hahahahaaaa

You probably have your father to thank for the cereal thing. I always thought I had to cook a good bkfst be he always wanted fast & simple. I caved & from then on, it was cereal for ALL. Sad... I was sad. I felt like a failure as a Mom.

Look how great you all grew up!

Cereal Rocks!

Ginny said...

ahhh, you would have serious competition if you were to try to rule the cereal universe!! i, too, often have cereal twice a day and it's only limited to that out of guilt. we clear out a box of cereal on a daily basis around here (unless i can find the ginormous boxes on sale then it lasts two days). lucky for me, i got over the guilt about cereal for breakfast a long time ago. plus, it adds to my bank of dinner choices when i can do hot breakfast stuff for dinner!!! lol

this post alone could possibly explain our inexplicable connection! :-)

Brayt said...

I remember the days of my youth when, when really hungry, (or distracted by Saturday morning cartoons)I could polish off a whole box of delicious Cocoa Puffs, or some other equally nourishing fare!