Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Shove Over, Brain

Sometimes my brain just gets in the way. Sometimes I think to much and it's usually about the most trivial things. Here's one. Showers. I play the silliest head games about showering. This is something I don't understand because I love showers once I'm in there. I feel just like my children because they never want to do things and then, once doing them, never want to stop.

We have a window in our shower. It's on the east side of my house and it's on the opposing wall from the shower head. Here's the problem. Correction: Here's where my brain creates a problem. Said window is one of those bathroomy windows. You know, it's all textured so you can't see through it? (that's not the problem since seeing INTO the window that is IN my shower would be a problem!) Before 8 a.m., my neighbor's house hides the rising sun. After 8:00, the sun shines through that textured window, creating a shower full of sparkling, brilliant light. 'So what', you say? Remember how I said the window is on the opposite wall of the shower head? Well, to stand in the shower and rinse your hair, it works best to have your back to the shower head causing your tired morning eyeballs to face the brilliant, sparkling, blinding, sunny-like-a-laser-beam-of-death window. I don't like that. I'm a I-hate-sun-in-my-eyes kind of girl. So, I dink around in my PJ's before 8:00 am and then I think, 'Oh, the sun is shining in the shower now! Blast! I guess I can't shower until after about 10 or 10:30!' (because that's about when the sun gets out of range) Then, by 10 or 10:30, I'm in the middle of something else and I don't want to stop and shower, so it turns into me not showering until afternoon. Silly, silly head games! Just bite the bullet and shower, Clancy!

Here's another game I like to play. Getting up in the morning. I lay in bed and I run circles in my brain about how I should get up, but my body answers my brain and says, "Do you know how comfy I am right now? I'm way too tired!" And then I lay there wasting away the precious minutes of non-blinding shower time. Sometimes I wish I could just turn off my brain so I could get things done!

As a side note, in the last few months I've become an early-to-bed girl. I know, I know... I was a dyed-in-the-wool, self-proclaimed night owl, but I really knew for my own health and sanity this must change. So, I've been going to bed for the last couple months between 9:00 and 10:30! Can you say "Wow!" (wow!) Here's the less-than-remarkable conclusion to my side note: Monday night I stayed up until almost 1:30am. For the old me, that time was average, but for the new me, that was very late indeed and the next morning KILLED me. I forgot that I used to be that tired all the time! So, today I will say that I am profoundly grateful for the many factors in my life that brought about this, the more rested version of Clancy!

One of those factors that brought about this early-to-bedness might be of some interest to you... this Friday I'll be thirteen weeks pregnant with the fourth and final installment of Clancy/Dustin procreation. This factor alone makes me very ready to be in bed as early as 6:00 pm some nights and that is a blessed reason, indeed, to get more sleep!

24 comments:

Mic and Jazzy said...

oh YAY congratulations on such exciting news! Where does that put you, the first week of March? So exciting, I hope all is well with your pregnancy.

Elena said...

WOW! Congrats to you! No wonder you're no longer a night owl. I've been trying to get to bed before 11 myself, not b/c I'm prego, just b/c I'm old!

Kristin said...

Holy cow! I'm so excited for you! It's funny, I had all sorts of comments that I have almost completely forgotten due to your news. That's just so stinkin' cool!

My brain gets in my way ALL the time. That's why my house hasn't been deep cleaned in, um, a long time. Dinner is rough because of my brain. I love that you put it nicely... makes me feel normal!

Rachel Chick said...

I'm so glad that your pregnant! Of course. :) I hope that all is going well with Mac! I've been thinking of you all week!

Ginny said...

hip hip hooray!!! CONGRATS!!! i love that you just subtly threw it in there at the end like it was no big deal.

so the question is, did you shower this morning. i notice you started the blog post at 8:30...was that to keep busy while the sun was blaring in your shower space?? :-)

i'm a head gamer, too. funny how we battle ourselves sometimes.

Clancy Pants said...

Totally still sitting here in my PJs... chatting with Kristin! :)

Genene said...

Thankfully, I knew abt the pg thing ahead of this post! :-) so I understand about the tired thing. Me, I'm just older & tired faster plus I've always been a go to bed earlier kind of gal.

The head games thing!? Well, as you know, I've been delving into understanding these things & all I know for sure is that it's part of our duality. Physical & spirit all blended into one confusing (sometimes) package. That little brain that says "Do you know how comfy I am right now?" is that physical, natural man, super ego, little ego (you choose an appropriate tag you identify with) part of our duality in this "physical" realm we live in right now. It's truly a bother for me & most of us eh? Learning to recognize it for what it is is helping me be ok with it & still make more choices I'm proud of. Wish I were perfect at it but.......... It's part of us for sure & we're taught that we must endure to the end.... DANGIT!!! Sometimes that feels like too long ;-)

So, there's my treatise on duality in a nutshell. You're so normal & healthy, you can be proud of yourself as you do battle with yourself!! (hee hee)

♥♥♥

Steve and Katie said...

I hate the laying in bed running circles in my head scenario, I do it all the time. I think you threw your night owlishness my way, I have become one again over the last couple of months. I quite enjoyed my 10 disciplined bedtime schedule, I need to get that back. Glad there is one less secret to be kept..... YEAH for little Passey #4!

Connie said...

Yay! Congrats on baby #4. Hope the pregnancy has been good so far and continues to go well.

Holly said...

That's so exciting! Congrats! Good luck with all of it.

Brecca said...

Hahaha...I really enjoyed the sun in the shower story. Thanks for sharing and letting me get to know you so well!

Maria Hart said...

I'm extremely glad you're walking this rocky road along with me. It sure is nice to have a partner to converse with along the way. I like what Ginny said, duality is one of the biggest challenges we deal with all of our life. But it is a mature mind that can recognize it and deal with all of the ambiguities such a dual existence brings. Even with all of the stress, your little critter is coming to a beautiful family, literally and figuratively. What a lucky little thing!

Maria Hart said...

I meant what Genene said... I've been typing all day and my fingers are starting to go of their own accord!

Ginny said...

I also looooved what Genene had to say...too bad I don't actually have the eloquence or perspective to have actually said it! ;-) Glad you gave credit where credit was due, Maria.

Chatty Natty said...

Congrats to u in so many ways!

The Wolfs said...

I am loving that you FINALLy converted to a go to bed early type of gal as now you truly fit into my club. 10:30 makes for a great bedtime when you get up at 5:45 am. I love your shower story i think i am very excited that our shower is on the backside of the house yipee!

Kristy said...

CONGRATS, CLANCY!!! That's so exciting!

Travis said...

I guess getting up and showering earlier isn't an option?

I know...silly me!

Bonnie Young said...

Congrats Clancy!! Thats great news, seems like everyone in the ward is getting pregnant. Perhaps it's the drinking fountain. I'm so excited for you, can't wait to hear what you're having.

Clancy Pants said...

Travis... funny thing is that everyday since I wrote this post, I've been up early before seven and showered! I know.... silly me! :)

Bonnie... sadly (for some... my sister-in-law for one) I don't find out what I'm having until I have the baby! So, we'll all find out in March! :)

corinne said...

Congratulations Clancy! That is super exciting! Hopefully the tiredness will pass, but for the record, I don't think there is anything wrong with staying in your pjs all day...I need to do it more often!

Erin said...

Too much bathing will weaken ya!

Ashley said...

Oh congratulations! I'm so excited for you!!! Yay!!!

Please stop by my blog and enter some fun giveaways. I've got a really great one that's ending today for a kid's outfit valued at $113! I really need to get some more entries for it, so I'd really appreciate your help! And you have a good chance of winning too!!! :)

lynsey said...

i don't have any idea how i missed this announcement and the posting. but a MUCH belated congratulations!

i have a friend who hasn't been able to reproduce and recently said to me that she was actually glad about it because she doesn't want to bring innocent kids into such a screwed up world. but i countered her by saying,

"if all the decent people in the world let this stop them from having children, what would our world look like now?

so thanks clancy, for bringing more balance on the scale (on the good side, of course!). i'm so excited for you!

and to have you and ms. chick prego at the same time? i'm overwhelmed with happy thoughts! :)