Friday, September 18, 2009

First Week

This is completely a "for my own records" post, just so I can have it recorded. Therefore, it is, potentially, rather boring. Sorry.


I mentioned that we are keeping Mac at home this year for school. The Idaho Virtual Academy "powered by K12" is our method of choice. In my ideal world, I would be choosing all his curriculum and planning it all myself. But, alas, I know my own limits and that is way more than I feel capable of at this point in my life. And that's o.k. K-12 it is!

We got all our "materials" a week ago today. (At the end of the day, so we didn't use them, we just got them out and looked at them.) We officially "started" on Monday. Monday didn't go so well. If you don't recall, look at my post that day and it will give you an idea of my Monday. That post wasn't entirely about my son or homeschooling, but those two things were the catalyst for a lot of dormant emotions and, to put it nicely, I lost it.

Tuesday wasn't easy, but I was in a better place.

Wednesday was quite good with a few, minor rough spots.

Thursday was good too... I think. I'm starting to blur a little on the details...

Today was long, but should have been short. We didn't have that much to do, but Mac likes to drag his feet and dilly-dally. It makes me crazy-insane, but somehow I've managed (aside from Monday) to keep my head and stay cool. (Go me!) This day had a lot of potential for being totally awful... maybe like Monday... but I chose to be chill and not react (...much. Does slamming my fist on the table and raising my voice count as a reaction? Probably, but I apologized right after and we carried on.)

Thus far he hates Math the most (not so shocking) and he likes Art the best. (not so shocking)

So far, I am pleased with the program. I am pleased that I can just go online and see what we're doing for the day and I don't have to plan. If you recall, planning is not one of my greatest strengths. I think it's good for Mac to be home. Truly. I am happy to see him interact with his little brother.

At this point, I'm happy that Ella has chosen to go to school as well. She loves school (although she loves it a little less since she's the only one who has to get up in the mornings at 7:00 a.m.) and I love watching her do her cute homework. I think I would be totally overwhelmed if they were both home this year. Mac and Ella are often the best of friends, but more often it seems, they antagonize each other and therefore harry their mother endlessly. This transition, I believe, has been infinitely smoother because Mac and Ella are not battling each other or vying for my attention all day. Rohan, in his easy-going manner, is happy to play Legos or sit on my lap while I do things with Mac. Bless that child. And bless Ella for choosing to go to school this year. And bless Mac for his strong will and his consistent, if begrudged efforts. And, if I may be so bold... bless me, too. For something.

So, there's the log for my first week in our new adventure. Pretzel dipping continues as does apartment management (or not... PLEASE let us get a new renter!!!). Also continues the mantaining of a household (to some degree anyway), and continues what would seem the easiest part of my life right now despite the limits it's putting on my wardrobe: baby-growing.

6 comments:

Mags said...

Wait. What? You're having another baby?

Wait. Really? Or am I misinterpreting that?

Connie said...

I loved the k-12 curriculum (for the one week I tried it with Jace). He started pleading with me to go to regular school after just a couple of days, so it didn't last long. But I'm glad I at least got a chance to try it for a little while.

But I agree, even with the lesson plans done for you, it's still quite time-consuming and a lot of work. Good luck with it. And if you last more than a week with it, you've got me beat. : )

Kristin said...

You go girl! I think you're amazing and definitely bless you... for putting the needs of your children first and recognizing their strengths and weaknesses as well as your own and especially for being able to work around said knowledge. I'm impressed, to say the least!

Holly said...

My sister-in-law homeschools her son right now (for lots of reasons - teacher issues and some medical issues her son has), and I've seen first hand what she has to do. It's very time consuming. For me it would be hard to focus on that and not get distracted because I'm home. I admire anyone who can do it, so good luck!

Emilee said...

Okay, you better call me lady. You know I did k12 for about 2 1/2 months. I have some hair saving tips. You can use it and make it work for you. Miss you lady. Talk to you soon. Em

Emily Clark said...

Why did you decide to home school. I know a lot of people that home school in this area. When I was growing up in Bountiful, no one home schooled. Are the schools in this area not good? I'm really curious, so let me know.

Congrats on being pregnant...at least, I think I'm reading that right. You'll need to give some clarification!

Oh, and I wanted to let you know that I'm not joining ward choir not because I don't like the choir. It's because I don't know what my plans are for the holidays, so I don't want to commit to anything if I may not be there anyway. :)