Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bless-ed

The week since I last posted has been one of those weeks that make you say, "Holy Crap-a-Moly!"
(That would be a young Macism phrase...)

We went camping for Labor Day weekend and I spent several days running around, preparing food, making lists and generally freaking out trying to prepare for our excursion. On Thursday, I drove up to where we planned on camping and reserved our spot early thinking it would be packed for the holiday weekend. (which, to my great surprise, it wasn't) That took the majority of the day. My in-laws came into town and we went to dinner with them on Thursday night.

Friday I ran around like a maniac trying to prepare food ahead of time and gather the multitude of things required to camp. We still left later than we hoped... as usual.

In the midst of all of this, I was trying to figure stuff out for Mac's schooling. You see, we've decided to keep Mac home this year and we are using the K-12 program for his school. We still don't have his books and so I've been trying to figure out what we can do and trying to learn all about the program. Holy-crap-a-moly, I'm nuts.

And speaking of nuts... it's pretzel-dipping season again. The seasonal shop where I sell my stuff opened today and I wanted to be all prepared way ahead of time, but somehow that doesn't seem to be how I roll.

Back to camping... we had a great time, leaving Friday night and returning Monday around noon. Upon our return, we unpacked everything, cleaned up, showered and got "the dipping room" ready for chocolate and messes. Then, we went out to eat again with Dustin's parents who were coming back through town from their own camping trip. After we ate, I went home with the intention of dipping the night away, but I was so exhausted that I fell asleep on the couch at about 8:30 and ended up just going to bed about 9:00.

As if that weren't enough to make me say, 'Holy-Crap-a-Moly!'...

After my 9:00 crash, I woke up to the tail end of the phone ringing. I missed the call. It was just after midnight. I looked at the caller ID and saw that it was my mom calling from her cell phone. When I called her back she let me know that my dad had just been taken to the hospital in an ambulance. She was on her way over behind him and could Dustin come over to the hospital and give him a priesthood blessing. Something was wrong with his heart, she thought, but she kept saying "I think he's going to be ok."

"Of course Dustin would come over", I assured her.

I got off the phone and relayed her message to Dustin who had also been asleep. He got up out of bed and came straight over and hugged me. Hard. At the time I just wondered why he was wasting time hugging me when he needed to be getting to the hospital. He threw clothes on and left.

After he left, I knew why he was hugging me so hard. I was alone in the dark of my room. I didn't know what was going on and I started imagining all the worst things. What would I do without my dad? He is such a rock, such a foundation for our family. He is so knowledgeable and wise and he is such a comfort to me personally. Those thoughts went on and on and in short order I was an emotional wreck. I wanted to be at the hospital with my mom. I prayed. Hard.

After 45 minutes, Dustin called and asked if I would like his parents to come over and sleep at my house so I could go to the hospital. Yes, I wanted that. More than anything. So, they came over and I left.

By the time I got there (about 1:30 am) my dad was already out of surgery. He had a heart attack and the surgeon had put two stints in his artery. He will have to have one more within the next month or so. We listened to the doctor tell us things and we hugged and cried. My dad was ok.

In just a few minutes we got to go in and see him. He had been awake through the surgery so he was bright-eyed and alert when we walked in. We talked to the doctor some more and he showed us a video of the surgery. Modern medicine can be truly amazing.

I left the hospital at about 4:00 am with a profound sense of relief and gratitude. I cried as I hugged him, feeling so grateful that all my imaginations were unfounded. He is still here. I have an amazing father whom I love more than I can express.

The next day I had to dip pretzels, but all I really wanted to do was go to the hospital and watch my dad breathe.

I am so blessed.

16 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

Oh, Clancy. I still get teary reading this. I just love your dad so much. I'm SO THANKFUL that he's okay!!! I'm going to stop by today! :)

lynsey said...

good gracious, i got goosebumps just reading this.

it's amazing to me how we run around doing all of these things and then have a moment where none of that matters and the most important things are acutely brought to our attention.

i'm so glad your dad's okay. in fact i think i'm going to go and call my own right now....

Brecca said...

You sound so busy woman! I'm glad your dad is alright. Please know that you can call on Blake and I for anything ok? We love you.

beth said...

I'm so glad you're dad is okay. What a shock! you're dad has always seemed so healthy and spry. yes, i just used the word spry-it only fits a few people and your dad is definitely one of them. How's your mom handling it all? I'm glad the surger went well.

Good luck with dipping season and homeschool. craziness, but you can totally handle it!

Chatty Natty said...

K...freaking out for you a bit! What oh what can we do?? Please let me know. You're parents are so sneaky when it comes to their health. Send my love, dear.

And, where do you sell your pretzels? I wanna learn or just taste. Loves to you:)

Clancy Pants said...

Thanks for all the well wishes and concerns. I love you all.

Beth... my Dad IS spry, it's true. It was a complete shock to all of us. He's the last person on the planet we would expect to have a heart-attack.

Natalie.. I don't know if there's anything that needs doing. I've asked my mom that and all she says is, "Come weed my garden!" Dad is really doing great now, I think. He got released from the hospital this morning. I'm on my way to their house in a few minutes. I will send my love to them from you. And I sell my pretzels at the Mini Bazaar. Taste away! ;)

Elena said...

My goodness! What a scare! SO glad they were able to help your dad in time.

And I am SO going to get some of your pretzels this time around!

Angela said...

I am so glad the doctors were able to help your dad. Modern medicine is so amazing. I wish I lived closer so I could help you in times of need. :)

I hear you have some exiting news too...is it true?!

Maria Hart said...

Oh Clancy, I have more sympathy for you than I would prefer. It is so hard to have a parent have a health scare. Please tell your Dad, "Bless your heart!" and that there are better ways to get the attention of his family! I won't offer any advice, I have none to give right now, on how to get through all the stresses and work in your life. But, you can do hard things. You can do remarkably hard things. Any squirms or kicks yet?!

Kristin said...

I don't know what to say! I'm just so glad it ended well and you are feeling blessed! I love you and I'm so glad that you did not have to go through the experience of losing a parent yet. <3

Mags said...

First, I am so happy that your dad is OK-you know I know exactly how you felt when you heart the news. It's not a good feeling. I'll pray that he continues to grow stronger and that this will be his last heart attack ever.

Also-aaaahhhhh! Pretzel dipping season? How long until you hate it again? :) ;)

Clancy Pants said...

Mags... I thought of you when my dad was in the hospital. And, I hate the pretzels before I even start! It's not as bad once I get going, but the thought of getting going is really hard for me.

Holly said...

I'm sorry about your dad. That would not be fun to go through. I'm glad he's alright, and I hope he keeps getting better. My prayers are with you and your family!

Callin said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dad but I am so glad that he is okay. You guys are all in our prayers.

triplej said...

Like I said earlier today....I am so happy that everything went so smooth. I just don't have that luck when it comes to people dying. But in the end we will all end up in the same place so we just have to take our trials and grow from them or be grateful for the blessings we receive. Give your dad a big squeeze for me because I know how valuable dads are! Love you girl!

The Beckstroms said...

What a scary thing to happen. I am so glad that he is ok and that you all are doing ok. Thanks for sharing about such a heart wrenching experience! Get well soon to your dad!!