Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Logic...

My kids and I were eating lunch around our table yesterday and we were talking about a guy named Cliff that we know. Ella said, "Who's Cliff?"

Mac replied, "You know Uncle Dave? Cliff is Uncle Dave's brother." (Uncle Dave is, in fact, my uncle, married to my mom's sister)

Ella's face was still blank. "Who's Uncle Dave again?" and even as she said that, you could see the wheels turning and see her remember who Uncle Dave was (because we see him a lot and she definitely knows who he is...). It all clicked for her just as Mac said, rather incredulously, "YOU KNOW who Uncle Dave is!! He's our uncle, silly!"

They got it all sorted out and, because they are now old enough to grasp such concepts, I added that Uncle Dave is actually not their uncle, but my uncle making him their GREAT Uncle. At this revelation, Ella, who had just figured it all out, looked at me like I pulled the rug out from under her. "He's our Great Uncle?" she replied and with her cutest little shocked, dramatic, Ella-voice she said, "Then why isn't he dead!!!??"

I totally busted up laughing. The logic of my seven-year old Ella... all the "Greats" are dead in her mind!

9 comments:

Kristin said...

That is hilarious!

Emily Clark said...

That is hilarious! It's amazing how the minds of children work! :)

Nickster said...

I love it!

Ginny said...

i love logical logic. i love that kids teach themselves things we don't think to teach them...even if it isn't always "correct."

Rachel Chick said...

Oh Clanc! - Don't EVER feel bad for letting me help you out. I told you then that I was dodging what needed to be done at home! :) I had already cleaned the kitchen and had I stayed home, I probably would have just laid down and watched a movie or something else equally useful. :) It was FAR more satisfying to help you out and enjoy your company! I can't come help today, but I'd love to help you out with your kiddies. Call me -- or I'll call you in an hour or so.

Emilee said...

Um...I want to help to...wasss up? And you are GREAT and not dead so there goes Ella's theory! Love you baby...Em

Mags said...

I love kids. So freakin' funny!!!

Travis said...

HA!

Polly said...

You just go ahead and reassure her that that particular "great" will continue to be alive and great for a very long time!

*unbiased source*

:)