Monday, June 8, 2009

Manic Monday: Shine

Today for our Manic Monday fun we have the word shine. Shine brings to mind my high school years. A few of which I dated the lead singer/guitarist of a freakin' awesome high school band known by the name of Clouded Vision. Me and my two best pals Beth and Erin liked to say we were roadies as we'd help haul equipment, set up the drum kit, run cords, pretend to help with sound checks, etc., but in truth we were just glorified groupies. We felt hella cool, regardless of what you called us.

Stashed in some box somewhere are several mementos from those days which, to my embarrassment, I still have. A cracked drumstick that I made the drummer, Matt Orchard, sign for me. He signed it, 'Orch the Torch'. A high school newspaper with Clouded Vision on the cover. (they won the battle of the bands and THAT was a good day to be the lead singer's girlfriend!) A broken guitar pick that my boyfriend tossed aside. Not to mention a list, written in his hand, of the lineup of songs they would be playing during one of their "gigs". One of my favorites on that list was Shine by Collective Soul.

For your listening enjoyment, I was going to embed Collective Soul's music video of Shine, compliments of YouTube, but thanks to someone's "request", embedding has been disabled and I can only give you the link. If you wish to hear this song that brings back so many memories for me, you can click here. If not, that's fine. Just know this... I was once a groupie of a high school band and I loved every minute of it.

10 comments:

Travis said...

I was a roadie for a KISS tribute band when I was in junior high.

OK...tribute band is a misnomer. They dressed in the make up, lip synced to the music, and didn't actually play the songs. They put the group together for a talent show and me and a bunch of other guys helped them set up for their act.

But they had real gear and amps and they eventually did form a garage band.

The Wolfs said...

Clancy loving your background lady oh how i have missed you i have been off way to long and just wanted to say hi love beck

SusanElaine said...

great blog! Are you aware of the Collective Soul blog contest? http://bit.ly/twittercelebrity Collective Soul is back better than ever...You should enter the contest and follow them on Twitter http://twitter.com/collective_soul

~hugs~
Susan
http://twitter.com/buzzedition

triplej said...

Oh I love you....lol...I was crackin up so much and reminiscing of my own high school groupie moments while reading your incredibly awesome glory days!

Emilee said...

lol just doesn't cover it....

Emilee said...

oh - can I steal from your chore chart? I never know what to make them do? And WHY do my kids have to be friends with the kids that their mom works and they want to LIVE here...go away and BE QUIET...ha ha...jk...

love ya lady...

Clancy Pants said...

Steal away, Em... I'll email it to you. Maybe. If I remember.

Ginny said...

you SHINE, girl! love you!

Polly said...

Orch the Torch...LOL I love HS silliness.

It's a great song!

Genene said...

love aaaallll these stories you tell. Great stories, most of which I know only the crunchy outer coating & have never heard all the nuts & chewy centers of.... Ya, the mom's often the last to know..... ;-)