Monday, June 22, 2009

Manic Monday: Pop

I have to admit, I was drawing a blank on the word Pop for Manic Monday. I thought about describing the pop of roots breaking as you yank out big junglish bushes and weeds with a Bobcat, which is what we did this weekend in our yard, but that didn't appeal to me. I thought about writing how I've sat at this computer for so long that my head might just pop but I didn't want to reveal what a lazy-bone I've been today. (actually, my morning was very busy, but this afternoon has been time-wastey) So, I went to my trusty Google search and entered "pop". I just love the internet. I find such interesting things to waste my time! And they remind me of things...

When I was in college, I had the coolest roommate on the freakin' planet. Her name is Britta and she's still the coolest. (and she's comin' into her power right now, so WATCH OUT world!!!) Back in our roommate days, Britta's little brother flew out from Pennsylvania to visit her for two-ish weeks and I got to know him in that annoying little brother way. He loved to tease and bother me with little things. Things like singing "That Thing You Do" completely off key and the wrong tune to boot. (love ya, Jazzy!) He also liked to make fun of me when I'd say, "Hey, do you want to watch a show?" Does that sound weird to anyone? No, right? Well, he seemed to think that "show" was the wrong word. He informed me each and every time I said it that it was called a MOVIE. Whatever, Jazz.

He couldn't leave it with the annoying song or the show/movie battle, he also had to inform me all the time that it was a SODA and not a POP. It's futile to argue with Jazz. I'm pretty sure he never even heard me when I tried. But, I got to the point where I'd just ignore him when he'd start. Except that freakin' song. I still hear it all wrong every time I think of that song. Silly boy.

Well, in my little Google search I found a website called "The Pop vs. Soda Page". I found it very amusing that someone actually conducted a study and made a statistical map of who says pop and who says soda. Oh yeah, and let's not forget the south where they call all pop "Coke". I got this map from the website... check it out! And if you visit the website, you can participate in the survey! Let your Pop/Soda voice be heard!!!


My mom's from the south and tells me how they always ask, "Hay! What kainda Coke you wawnt?" and then they proceed to list the different flavors like Sprite, Root Beer, Mt. Dew, etc. It doesn't matter how many times she tells me, laugh every time. Seems so silly to me.

And in case you failed to notice, in Idaho the proper term for a carbonated drink is a "Pop", which, in case you wanted some more Clancy-Trivia, I almost never drink.

12 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow, that's interesting! It makes me laugh because it's so true, it drove me nuts that everyone in Utah calls soda "pop." I grew up in California and of course it's called soda!

Travis said...

I've always said soda. I know that's supposed to be the word for soda water. But Gram used to say soda pop, so we shortened it to soda.

lynsey said...

i always say "show" and had a friend of mine make fun of me for it. and honestly? thinking about it...i can't even remember if i call it "soda" or "pop."

do you want a soda?

do you want some pop?

none seem natural...i think i just name the drink. do you want some rootbeer?

but lynsey trivia-i also almost never drink. unless it's homemade rootbeer with a little scoop of vanilla. and then, i absolutely will partake.

loved the map of controversy going on in our nation!

Maria Hart said...

It is a soda, not a pop. You lick a lollipop, not a sucker. You sit on a sofa, not a couch. And, if you're from New Jersey, you drink wooder, not water!

Polly said...

Well, at our house, show means a short 1/2 thing, like an episode of Diego; movie or flik is for movie...but we still say show for movie and wouldn't think it odd if that's what someone always said. Funny.

I say pop. Having heard the "coke" thing about the south, I knew ahead of time, but it still sounds so bizarre that they really do it! Hanging out at a party, or someone asking to pick up some cokes...sprite, dr pepper whatever...just a few varieties of coke.
Yeah, howabout the original variety of coke? LOL

I'm totally headed over to the map to cast my vote. :)

Holly said...

Hmm, I'm from Utah and have always called it soda. It's never bothered me how others say it (which is a rarity I assure you, usually that's just the kind of thing that would really annoy me). Interesting reading...thanks for sharing.

triplej said...

It's pop in our house and we never buy it...it is always brought in from the Grandma's....I am from WY so it is the Crick not Creeek, and the borrow pit not borrow ditch, and the roof not roooooooof. So there you go!

Fiagle Family said...

I love your post! Jeremy and I have had this argument..on more then one word..it is so Soda..I'll even take coke..but never pop!!

Brecca said...

I always say pop but I'm okay with how other people might say it. It's all good!

Kaci said...

OMG I swear when I moved here everyone stared at me when I said soda. Huh? It's pop dear...whatev.

brits said...

AH! You are the best and so make me laugh and I promise you that....wait...brb

Clancy Pants said...

Ummm, Britt? You didn't finish!