Monday, April 6, 2009

Muscle Memory

I went running at 9 o'clock tonight. I have two friends, Rachel and Maria, who I ran with last summer/fall and both of them have been saying we should start running again. I agreed, but I couldn't seem to wrap my life or body around the idea. Today was the perfect day. Well, tonight was the night, anyway.

It was a stressful day (had an extra 4 children from 7:30am until 4:30pm.... they were good, but extra children just make a more wearying day) and then a frustrating evening (Mac and Dustin... they... er.... rubbed each other the wrong way tonight). I got the call from Maria in the afternoon and looked forward to it more and more as the day wore on. Or should I say, as the day wore on me?

The weather was actually nice today, which made the night perfect! I was a little nervous to run, I will admit. I was a novice runner last summer and had worked myself up to about 2 1/2 miles. I haven't done much, ok- anything, since then, except the aforementioned aerobics of the last two weeks and I was scared. But, my fear turned to elation as I paced myself around a 2.34 mile loop! We stopped and walked once in the middle but only for a very short distance. And we walked the last tiny bit before we reached her truck. I did have mild feelings of impending death as we sprinted the last bit, but, as you can see, I lived to report!

Go, body, GO!!!!!

(I will add... but only in parentheses... that Maria kicked my tRAsH in the sprint. But it's not a competition, right? I'll keep telling myself that, but next time, or maybe the time after that, Maria, you'd better watch your tRAsH!) ;-)

10 comments:

Polly said...

That's a super long run for an initiation. Great job! I need to start running too, but I think I'll start with just a mile. I'll do my aerobics tapes, but the truth is, those are some different muscles. I'm not delusional.

Elena said...

Good job Clancy. I think I might have puked blood had I tried that. I always see people out running and I think, "That looks like it feels so good!" Then I try it and after about 2 minutes, I remember why I'm not a runner.

Maria Hart said...

Bring the heat! Actually, I was surprised, you are a much better sprinter than I, and I know it and I don't expect it to out sprint you very many more times! It felt great. I woke up so happy this morning. Running is AWESOME! Thanks for being game... it is much more fun with a partner!

Clancy Pants said...

I wasn't a runner either. I started last summer and we did this training thing... Couch to 5k in Six Weeks... or something like that. It was AWESOME! It eased me in gradually and it turned me from someone who thought she wasn't a runner into someone who loved running! I was addicted to it.

So, the shock was that I thought this would be too long for an "initiation" run too, but I did it!!!

Emily and Dustin said...

Fun! Where did you run?

Clancy Pants said...

The greenbelt. It was fun!

Kaci said...

How awesome Clanc! You go girl!

triplej said...

Keep it up....for me too.

Travis said...

I wish I could still run.

Kristin said...

I'm so jealous of Maria!

Good job Clancy!