Monday, March 23, 2009

Vacant

It's like this.

No shovel touched the snow in the driveway all winter long. No footprints. No mail in the mailbox. No light cheerfully spilling out of the windows at night. No squeals of elation, or cries of frustration were absorbed by walls, furniture or consciousness. It sat cold. It sat dark and empty.

I stared at it. I wondered at what it held in the past and what it's future would be. I walked it in my mind, living there, laughing and singing there, smelling the charcoal of the barbecue in the backyard, leaves filling out the now naked trees. I explored the vacant places in my own heart, the places, once occupied but now locked. I tried, yet again, to guess at the connection that houses have with souls, but I came up short.

All I know is that house has been in the back of my mind all day. That house wants to sing, like me.

11 comments:

Elena said...

Maybe that house wants you to buy it. :)

Kristin said...

You are such an amazing writer!

When do we get to read your version of the ending of the story everyone else finished?

triplej said...

Is that a rental house of yours or just a house in your mind?

Ginny said...

hmmmmmm....wanting more (which is, undoubtedly, part of the idea--just wanted you to know you succeeded!)

Clancy Pants said...

Not so much part of the idea, Gin... I don't usually mean to leave you wanting more. Not when I write things like this. I was just in a mood and that was a peek into the window of my mood. :) Glad you liked it though.

And, Jen, it wasn't a rental house of mine, but a house that I really like that has been for sale for a long time.

Clancy Pants said...

And Elena, I've thought the same thing. Right now it's out of my price range. Plus it's in a great location except for one major factor that can't be ignored.

Kristin, thanks! And I'm not sure. I've done some of it, but it's a VERY LONG story... I'll let you know.

Emily and Dustin said...

Where is this house? I need to check it out. I won't steal it from you. I promise!

Travis said...

That's another poem my dear. This spoke to me.

Clancy Pants said...

Emily... I'll have to tell you when I see you in person.

Travis... What did it say? :) Just kidding. I'm glad you liked it. Well, I assume if it spoke to you that you liked it, but maybe it spoke horrible things and left you in a trembling heap! ;)

I wondered when I posted if you'd let me know that I had another poem. I was right!

merrianne said...

i love the way you write!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Wolfs said...

I love the way you write! You need to write your own novel! Who knew that a house could sound so good?