Thursday, March 5, 2009

Safe Places

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This particular post had a soundtrack while I wrote it. If you'd like to hear, push play here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


There are times where life brings you a sanctuary. A haven. And sometimes it's not a place in the literal sense of the word, but a home for your heart all the same.

Life moves, a river. A current carrying forward the past into the future, bringing the Now to every moment.

Like driftwood, you can let the current take you. You can drift. And in drifting, laying on your back mesmerized by the clouds, your sanctuary might recede into your mind's horizon, losing definition, engulfed by haze until it becomes unrecognizable.

At times like that, Panic can grip your heart. Where is your safety? Who are you? Why are you here, floating on this river? Was it always so wide? What is unseen below you? Did the river change, or did you change?

And then comes the choice. Drift again, ignoring questions, and see what the river will bring? Or swim hard for a safe place, be it the same place or a new and undiscovered haven, a resting spot on the journey?

There's always the choice.


10 comments:

Maria Hart said...

I love the imagery of this, the motion, and the ultimate element of choice. For me there is at least one more option: swim for the never-before-seen shore and hope for a new adventure, it's not drifting and it's not retreating to a known and safe place. It often becomes a new haven.

Clancy Pants said...

Too true... too true, Maria. And I swim for that place too, many times. But this particular little blurb, I wrote for something specific that I want back the way it was... and life changes so it might not ever be the same again. Seasons for everything...

Emily and Dustin said...

This post correlates a lot with thoughts I've had lately. I think it's because my life has changed so much in the last few weeks. Ultimately, though, I've learned that I love change, or new adventures as Maria said. I like stability, but don't ever want to settle or become too stationary in life.

triplej said...

Very fun thinking tool to get our brains moving and out of the cobwebs of mundane daily life. Thanks Clanc for helping me take a minute to ponder.

lynsey said...

loved THIS. i love to write but it's mostly ramblings from my brain. your writing is so deep and inspiring and i really appreciate it. amazing! thank you.

Kristin said...

Beautiful background music! Thank goodness for agency!

Cherie said...

How wonderfully deep yet simply expressed, and the music make it even more wonderful. :)

What happens to me sometimes as I'm floating merrily along is that I hear a noise that startles me. I start to panic. In all my flailing, I forget that I can float. But once I do, peace returns (even if I decide to navigate to shore for a short respite).

Kaci-Ellyphant said...

Ooo I like!

merrianne said...

i know the feeling.....

great post Clancy :)

Ginny said...

I can't hear the soundtrack right now (i'm on my phone) but I still loved the gurgling of the river that I heard in my mind!! loved the timing of this almost as much as I loved the blurb itself!! thanks!!