Monday, March 16, 2009

Manic Monday: Party

I know it's been a while since I blogged. My apologies for anyone that actually missed my ramblings. ;) I had the chance to go to the Ballroom Dance National Amateur Championship at BYU last weekend with my friend, Rebby. Her son was dancing with his school team and he also did some individual syllabus dances. Let me tell you, it was a PARTY!

First of all, I left my children home with their dad and grandma (grandma, among a few other people, babysat while dad was at work) so I only had my own teeth to brush, body to bathe, stomach to feed, and self to put to bed. Can I get a "Hallelujah"!? As any mother can attest, this was a welcome break from the everyday routine. It was extra sweet because I am staring down the coming months of being a weekday-single-mom again. Dustin is going to start working out of town very soon. Needless to say, I was excited to have this *long weekend where I could just relax and breathe with absolutely NOTHING to do.

Secondly, I TOTALLY LOVED all aspects of the Ballroom Dance scene! It was so entertaining to watch! The dresses, the competitors, the different styles of dances... I really loved it. And watching my friend watch her son dance was the cutest thing! She would get super shaky and nervous and her heart would race and she would nearly cry every time. Her job as camera(wo)man was passed on to me or her nephew because her quivering hand made for less than desirable movies (in her words, not mine)! She is an amazing mother and a supreme example of support and love.

Third, I was able to stay with my friend's mother who was a wonderful and gracious hostess. I love observing people who have this skill. It reminds me of my grandmother, who's hostessing was unmatched in this world. I miss her.

Fourth, I stayed up VERY late on Friday night talking with my friend. We girls need these talks now and then. It was SO fabulous. Both of us were dead-tired the next day, but it was totally worth it. Plus we got to have a nap at a beautiful house on Saturday afternoon, go on a brisk walk after our nap and then get adjusted by her chiropractor. It was like having my cake and eating it too. PERFECT!

Fifth and finally, Malachi (my friend's son) is the most amazing young man I've ever met. He's so fantastic!! He has so much natural talent in so many areas and it's very exciting for me to have the chance to observe him developing so many of those talents. And I've never had more fun! Mal, in and of himself, is a party! When Rebby and Mal and I are together, it is soul-healing. That's what non-stop laughter does to a soul. Heals it.

Mal, thanks for having the courage to do the things you love and then inviting me and so many others to observe you in your joy. Never forget the way it makes you feel to take life into your own hands, regardless of the fear. Coming from one who mostly tip-toed her way through high school and didn't try the things she wanted to try for the fear of failure, I would say- keep doing what you're doing! Try out for those solos! Throw yourself into those dances! Aim high! Even if you miss, at least you took the shot. If you want to do something and you're scared, just do it anyway. You learn from it and you won't find yourself, at age 30, wishing you had taken the chance back then. You're an inspiration to me, Malachi!

Thanks, Rebby, for such an amazing weekend. I know you don't read my blog, but maybe someday you'll read this in my blog book. Thank you for being my friend, bringing so much light to my life and blessing me with your gifts and talents. LOVE YOU!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*We left Wednesday evening and got back Sunday evening so I was gone for 5 days total. SCHWEEEETT!

10 comments:

Cherie said...

Ballroom dancing! Love it! I'm taking a couple to their first competition in Houston this Thursday. I don't know who's more nervous, them or me! :)

Mags said...

Oh I LOVE ballroom dancing-watching it that is. I'm not nearly graceful enough to actually do it.

Ginny said...

love that you got five (5) schweeeeeet days to fill your well!! and that I got to wave at you as you passed by without stopping ;-)

Kristin said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I love ballroom dance (or just about any dance for that matter). I'm so glad you got this much deserved break!

Elena said...

FUN!! Lucky lady. I love ballroom dance. (Wish I could do it, but I'm so uncoordinated it's not even funny.)

Kaci-Ellyphant said...

What a great time!! I've missed you honest!

Emily and Dustin said...

How great that you were able to get outta town for a bit. Maria did a great job directing the choir while you were out!

Connie said...

Sounds like fun. Glad you had a good time, and I'm glad you're posting again. I did miss your posts or ramblings as you called them.

Travis said...

I would love to go to a ballroom dance competition. In fact, that has made the bucket list.

Polly said...

Superb advice!!!