Wednesday, February 25, 2009

From The Jar... #34

I'm in a hurry... imagine that I took the time to put the picture of the jar right here, ok? Thanks.

And the Jar says...



Describe your first crush.


Seriously? My first one? I don't know who my first crush was. My youth was so full of crushes, it's a miracle I survived. Incidentally, why do we call them crushes? Does anyone know? I was trying to come up with something quippy about how, with all my crushes, it's amazing that I didn't exit my teenage years flat as a pancake. You get it? Crushes... flattening me? (oh wait... I actually AM flat as a pancake and I left my teenage years married!) As you can see, all the quips fell very, well, FLAT. (Ooohhh. I really need to stop now. Can you tell I started this post late?)

So, yeah... crushes. Ummm... I had a crush on a boy named Sean McKeown in first grade. It was a mild crush. I remember no details about it except that I would chase him at recess and pretend to try to kiss him.

A more vivid crush was on a boy named Zach Cottrell. My best friend and I BOTH thought he was the BOMB-DIGGETY! We went to church with him and I was SOOOO in LOVE! (I think i was in third grade... true love, right?) Once at a neighborhood party I somehow ended up as a target and I was chased by Zach, and a bunch of other kids that he recruited, all over several streets for, what felt like, hours. I secretly loved it and remember feeling like I was the world's fastest runner. I can't remember whether or not I was caught.

I would never want to go back to those years, but I remember how fun it was to develop a new crush. That fluttery feeling... I wonder if my children have that yet? Mac is as old as I was when Zach Cottrell was chasing me around the block party, and Ella is the same age as I during the Sean McKeown crush days. The thought of my children with heart flutters is one part adorable, three parts freaky! I hope I'm up for it, because, ready or not, here it comes!

10 comments:

Kristin said...

How fun! I don't remember my first crush either. I love that you started to think about your kids moving into that stage of life. How terrifying! I agree that there is a part that is adorable about the thought, however, that part is definitely crushed ;) by the freaky!

Connie said...

He was one of my first crushes too. How funny! I wonder how many in our neighborhood had a crush on him back in the day. What a fun memory.

triplej said...

So cute....awwww the first crush. My first one was in 6th grade! That really did bring back a flood of memories.

Maria Hart said...

I was in the fourth grade and his names was Greg Gumz. He had blonde hair and very straight, white teeth. Cute! Heart throb!

Ginny said...

funny. we had some drama this morning--too mature for my kids' ages. I was expressing my exasperation to Dave on the phone and the thought hit me..."oh, you're just getting started!!" Thanks for reinforcing that...i guess i need this message today! ;-)

beth said...

Zach. Hmmm. I loved that my dad was cubmaster so I got to go to pack meeting and see him. I remember riding bikes all over 14th with him or hoping to see him and jumping off the sidewalk cracks like I could have been in the movie Rad. I felt rad! He was not my first though. I think my first crushes were Matt Lowe and Ben Wagner.

Polly said...

Funny question. It's sort of scary thinking about memories from when you were your children's age. Mine are in middle school...can you imagine the terror of having your kids thinking the same things you were at that age. OY!

Holly said...

I played "kissing tag" in first grade too! I remember that I was the only one fast enough to catch the boys, but I punched them in the arm if I caught them. I didn't really want to kiss any of them.

As I sit here I don't think I can remember Zach Cottrell. I'm sure I knew him, and I'm sure John was in scouts with him. Oh well. If I'm remembering correctly, my first crush was one of my brother's friends named Scott. Hmm, that was a long long time ago. Fun to try to think back that far though.

Shanana said...

I guess I was a bit boy crazy, too. In the few seconds it took me to read your opening line, I flashed back to no less than 7 or 8 MAJOR heartthrobs in my younger years... All the way from Ricky Schroeder to the little boy who inspired me to push my competition down the slide in a malicious act of jealousy.

Ashley said...

Yep, crushes were so fun! Wondering if they liked you back, crushing on the same boy for the entire school year but never talking to him. So funny. :)