Wednesday, February 11, 2009

From The Jar... #32

Missed the Jar last week. I don't remember why.




Describe your Mother's wedding dress. What did you know about her wedding?





My mom's wedding dress... I remember when I was growing up, it was always hanging in her closet in a plastic dress bag. I would sneak into her closet and climb on the shelves and look at it. I thought it was so pretty. My grandma made it. It was a sort-of peasant style... long sleeves that flared at the bottom but had a tie around the forearm. It had a cool bodice... I don't really know how to describe it, so it's a good thing I can add pictures.





Aren't they cute!!! Hard to see the details, but there they are!


I don't really know a lot about my parents wedding day. Here are a few details that I know. I know they were married in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. I know that it was a lovely summer day. I know that my Grandma Carol had a swinging outfit on in the pictures and my Grandpa Earl looked nothing short of dashing. (they stuck out particularly in my mind) And I know that my dad was over an hour late to the ceremony... maybe and hour and a half. Needless to say, my mom was FREAKING out. This cute little old lady in the temple patted her arm and said, "Don't worry, honey, we won't start without him." I don't think my mom was consoled.

Turns out, my dad was late because he got talking to an old friend (that was in town for the wedding? I don't really know who it was or why he was talking to him...) that he hadn't seen for a LONG time. This little episode is what we call "foreshadowing" for the rest of their lives. This lovely trait of tardiness has been passed on in varying degrees to their posterity. *ahem* Love ya, Dad and Mom!

I also know that my mom didn't actually want a reception. She'd rather have gone with "take the money and run", so to speak, but my grandma thought she should have one. So they did. The reception was held at my mom's cousin Cynthia's house in Salt Lake and they had an open house in Texas a week or so later.

That pretty much sums up what I know of a VERY important day in the lives of my parents. Maybe we need to have a chat, Mom and Dad!

7 comments:

Polly said...

This might be another good week for me to skip. I'm sad to say that my details about my parent's wedding day are very limited.

Nice pictures.

Kaci said...

Awhhhh I've only seen pics a few times of my parents wedding. I should scan them next time I'm there.

Mic and Jazzy said...

How fun! I really need to ask my mom more about their wedding day. I know my dad was a tad late because he ran down to BYU to get his semester grades that had been posted!

Kristin said...

Very nice! I don't really know much about my parents' wedding. I know it happened and that my great uncle married them. Her dress... I'd have to go look at pictures and don't really have the time right now. :)

Cherie said...

I must admit that I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, and it all started with your "From the Jar". I think that it's a really neat idea, and I want to play too.

Your parents look darling together. When I look at the one with their heads together, I imagine that he's begging forgiveness for being over an hour late! Oy! Your mom must really love him! :)

Your mother looks really beautiful in her dress, and I love the flowers in her hair.

The post about my mom is here:
http://cestmoitrois.blogspot.com/2009/02/from-jar-32.html

Shanana said...

You look very like your mom in these pictures. Very pretty.

This would have been a fun post... I recall that my mom and dad fought long and hard over the etiquette of her dress. My mom wanted a train on her gown, but my dad refused to wear a tux. During that era: no tux = no gown. Therefore, my mom had to wear a knee length skirt instead, which totally ticked her off. (This was a foreshadowing of many things to come in their marriage.) Then to top it off, my mom's veil was made with a bra cup as the "hat" portion that the tule was attached to. Tres chic!

Genene said...

Hello love,

look what I miss when I don't check in. Sheesh! I'm "like" a star on this one & I didn't even know it till, what, 2 weeks later. Well, I do love those little wedding pics. Now that I'm this age it's much more fun to look at the photos of the wedding & my youth (HOLY COW!)

Ya, Dad was pretty late & I was pretty much freakin' out! I was very mellow about it (for me especially ;-) ) but I was starting to panic. Of course, I was somewhat disassociated from the process because of that state of mind. That's probably why we still got married. (hee hee JK)

The guy from out of town was Wally Wassam (sp?) and he was in SLC from California. Dad knew him when he lived there for a couple of years or so. He had come up just for the wedding I believe. Blah, blah, whatevay!

Love you
Me