Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tue Pose a Question

Am I alone? No. I know I'm not alone, but for the last little while I've had a problem and I'm wondering if I'm alone in my problem... all by myself, standing in the wilderness with the wind blowing dust in my eyes, starving and thirsty. That was called melodrama, just now. My problem is really not such a big deal and it only plagues me occasionally. Like when I get dressed every morning.

Problem: I don't know what's cute anymore. My fashion sense has turned into a man and is lost in a car and refuses to stop and ask for directions. It's true that my fashion sense never has been sharpened like one of those GPS ladies. You know the one. "Make. A. Right. Turn. In. Three. Hundred. Yards." If I had that lady, she was telling me I passed the street... "You. Went. Too. Far. Make. A. U-Turn."

I have always been fairly laid back about fashion. Not too cutting edge. Simple and relaxed for the most part. Comfort is a large contributing factor, but I like to look like I care too. I don't know... I feel like I'm talking to a Doctor. Which reminds me... you should read my friend Larrie's blog. She's hilarious and I like tangents.

Anyway... this problem seems to have been coming for a year or so. Right now it's flaring up and it's rather debilitating. There is a little problem within the problem that I rarely want to spend any money on clothes. Hmmm...

I have new earrings though. I like them alot. Dustin gave me them for Christmas after he read my blog post. It's the "these" in the post in case you are wondering. I told you I like tangents. I am especially tangenty tonight and I think it's because I have headphones on. I stole Mac's MP3 player and I'm being pulled in every direction in this post as I sing along to Jack Johnson's Sing-alongs and Lullaby's from the Curious George soundtrack. Such a great bunch of songs.

Yes. Problem. Back on task. So... I was just wondering for my Tuesday question if anyone else feels this way. Is anyone else fashionally lost? Do you think it's because I turned thirty in August? I don't know.

I wish I had a spare allotment of cash each month and I could take my sister-in-law, Tricia, shopping with me. She's a chic, fashionista kind of girl... she's also a size 1 or 2 and wears tiny shoes... a size 6, I'm guessing. All shoes look cute when they're a size 6, don't you think?

Anyway. Enough rambling. This problem is only a big deal when I'm feeling vain, which is more than it should be, to be sure. I have lots of clothes that are perfectly fine. I am blessed and I'll stop my whining right now!

15 comments:

Emilee said...

What are you doing up at this hour?

Emilee said...

And by the way, tangent queen....I love you post. Your fashion is so fab but that is coming from a geek so you better go ask mel and beckie for some real opinions...See ya cutie...

Mic and Jazzy said...

yes! I feel that way often. I'm in this weird in between stage where I don't know if its still appropriate for me to wear jeans and a hoodie everywhere I go. I mean, it is my staple for comfort. But now that I am married, have a real job, etc, does that mean I have to dress nicely on a day-to-day basis?

PS love your blog! Thanks for all the nice comments you leave. They make my day!

Ginny said...

you have just described me to a fashion T...too cheap to make a purchase that might be a total fashion blunder anyway. I have no confidence to shop on my own...if you figure out some miracle cure please share

Rachel Chick said...

I hear ya, sista! I find myself buying clothes for my kids, but not for me . . . sad, it seems like I grow out of my clothes as often as they do . . . :)

beth s. said...

You have always been fashionable! And always well put together. Some of what is considered fashion now seems like a whole lot of extra layers and combos for-who-knows-what. I also totally understand the feeling though. I've never tried to follow the fad or color scheme of the season unless it suits my comfort and mood and then I'm usually a year or two behind if I do find something I like. Plus when I have tried hard to be cute and in fashion it feels good for maybe a month and then they're just clothes again. There is always something else out there that can make you feel like you're not cute enough or not in fashion.

Clancy In Idaho said...

Beth... So so true! I guess that's what I meant at the end when I said that it's only a problem when I'm feeling vain. Mostly I don't care, but lately I must be feeling a little more vain! :)

Leah said...

I have ALWAYS been a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, for two reasons. ONE: I have zero ability to understand what the current trends are, and whether something looks good on me or looks incredibly ridiculous, as if I'm trying too hard (or just plain dumb and blind). TWO: I'm CHEAP and I just can't bring myself to buy trendy boots that put me back $100, and then tie them in with a cute little sweater and jeans that put me back another $100+.

I would love to be able to be in fashion and look good, but I need money and some fashion sense. So NO you are SOOOOO not alone!

Kristin said...

I haven't read all the comments (except Ginny's), but my guess is that you've learned you are definitely not alone. I don't go shopping alone because I HAVE to have another opinion. And if I have the right friends I let them pick what I'll try on because their taste is better than mine. I don't, however, have the problem with being too cheap (and yet I've gotten much cheaper since I've been married).

YOU KNOW WHO said...

i have the same problem!
am i too OLD for this?
and i too YOUNG for this?
is this just UGLY?
am i still living in the 80's?

i even saw leg warmers at one store and i was like about to cry....

all i can say is that i am ready to tease my bangs and get out the blue eyeshadow!

"Pour Some SUgar On Me!"

The Beckstroms said...

Ah! I am turning 30 next year and I am already frieking out..maybe I will feel lost at that time too...I have felt the same way often. You are not alone, and by the way, you are very fashionable. I know I have not seen you in a long time, but I don't doubt you've still got fashion sense!
You are too cute anyway, you could wear the baggiest, most awful clothes and you'd be darling!

Jenni Jiggety said...

Fashion = On Sale at Target for me! LOL!

Maria Hart said...

I dream of days when I can wear the "nice" clothes I love, without fear of greasy fingers, marker stains, or holes in the knees from crawling on the floor. But for now, I love my jeans and Ts. That is fashion... mom fashion!

larriecampbell said...

This is one reason I work in IT... "nice" means wearing a shirt with a collar and tucking it in.

Thanks for the shout out on your fabulous blog :)

bv said...

I'm with you lady. I would die for a wad of cash and someone to take with me who 'knows'! Alas, it wouldn't make us any happier and at one point or another we'd feel the same way about those clothes. At least you are tiny and super tute! Clothes are just clothes and aren't what make you the most wonderful Clancy EVER!