Monday, January 12, 2009

Manic Monday: Cell

Back when I was pregnant with my oldest son, Mac, I worked on computers all day in a small shop that printed T-shirts. I signed up for a weekly email that gave me an update on what was going on with the little one who was growing in my belly. Each week that email came and told me wonderful things... week 6, your baby's heart is now beating and blood circulation is evident....week 8, your baby is the size of a cherry and the cells that will become either testes or ovaries arrive... week 10, your baby will have verifiable fingers and toes... week 14, your baby even has fingerprints... week 19, permanent teeth buds are forming... and at week 23, his or her fingernails are now completely formed.

Week after week these emails came and I read, awestruck, in front of my computer. So many things could potentially go wrong, yet such a small percentage of all pregnancies do. What a wonder we, as women, are capable of. What a miracle!

As I sat there reading about which cell was dividing at which time and what organ began working properly at what week and how the tiny human-being inside me could now see the difference between light and dark with it's freshly opened eyes I couldn't help but wonder how anyone who had ever been pregnant could possibly not believe in a grand design. In short, how could one not believe in God and participate in that, the miracle of life?

7 comments:

Polly said...

Yes, pregnancy is incredible. There is far too much perfection in our world and in our own bodies to deny that there is most certainly a plan!

Mags said...

It is quite amazing. I hope that one day I get to experience it first hand.

Shanana said...

Since working in pediatrics with patients suffering from CRAZY syndromes and life-threatening illnesses, my appreciation for how wonderfully it all works (most of the time) has grown exponentially. I never understood, in all my research and study of so many scientific topics, how so many of my colleagues could use science as their religion and write off the existence of a Supreme being. Random molecules simply cannot explain the miraculous way it all fits together.

Elena said...

Such an amazing miracle. They are perfectly formed before we even really start to feel them move!

bv said...

I so remember you doing this and I remember you emailing me and telling me about his fingernails growing! You were the inspiration behind all of my weekly posts for Adi as she was growing so it was only appropriate that you were there when she was born! Hope that leg wasn't too heavy ;)

Kristin said...

I felt that way (a little) with my first, but with Daniel I was just trying to survive pregnancy during the summer!

Travis said...

Nature is truly a wonder.