Wednesday, January 14, 2009

From The Jar... #29

And the Jar says....

Where were you, and what were you doing the day the Berlin Wall came down?

Ummmm.... I have no idea. OK, I have a little bit of an idea. I know I was in school and some teacher turned on the T.V. I didn't really even know what the Berlin wall was. I just remember watching youngish people grabbing parts of this colorful wall and everyone was amazed and talked about it for weeks. I've always been a very informed girl.

I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently it was on November 9, 1989. So, 1989 would put me in sixth grade. There you have it.

LAME. Let's pull another one and see if we can shave some time off of my SEVEN YEARS! (did I mention I'll be 37?)

Wow. The Jar has indigestion and is throwing up all the junky stuff today. The Jar says, again...

Tell about a frustrating experience you've had on a wash day, with the machine, what was the outcome od the clothes.

That was a nicely worded sentence, don't you think? The "od" was copied exactly from my slip of paper, as was the lack of question mark. Whoever wrote these questions was not a grammar buff. I often sheild you from the awful grammar in the Jar by editing or restructuring the sentence (since I'm an editing FREAK!), but I decided to leave that one as I didn't want to think about how to reword it's retardedness.

So anyway... back to frustrations on "wash day". Firstly, I don't have "wash day". By now you've surely realized that I'm not that organized. Wash day is whenever I feel like it. And my machine has always ran swimmingly. (no pun intended) So no frustrations with the machine, but I have had frustrations with my husband and "wash day" (which, incidentally, is whenever he happens to think about it, or when he's out of underwear cuz I haven't felt like it).

He's so sweet. I love him so much... and... my dear hubby is not "into" fabric softener sheets. You know the ones where if you don't put them in then your underwear are sizzling and popping with all the static electricity that covers them? Yeah. That's a frustration to me. He used to not be "into" sorting colors either. We've had some lovely darkened underwear and socks, shirts and hand towels. Frustration? Why yes!

But, for the most part, these frustrations are a thing of the past. Dustin almost always puts only darks or lights in (not both), and he often (instead of never) uses dryer sheets. But when he does use those sheets he has to be a budget conscious guy and cut them in half. That's fine except when I'm being a budget conscious girl at the point of sale and I grab the cheapest off-brand dryer sheets on the shelf. You need a whole one of those babies. Trust me.

I actually do have my own frustrating laundry experiences, but that's more to do with me than the machine. The outcome of the clothes is not very good. Here is the problem: I do a fairly decent job of keeping up on my laundry. I like to put laundry in my washer and get it all nice and washed. I don't even mind changing it to the dryer. Where I fall short is when it comes out of the dryer. I always sort it into piles or (if they're all there) baskets... Dustin, me, Mac, Ella, Rohan and towels. Then it sits in those piles or baskets (if I'm lucky) for a long time. I, currently, have a HUGE laundry room. HUGE! It allows for widespread pileage of laundry. Me and folding... we don't get along so good. That's my frustration.

I did have one goofy thing... the clothes were fine. It was the cell phone that wasn't. I sent Dustin's two-day old phone through a complete wash, spin, rinse, spin cycle. It was a tiny little thing and I, apparently, didn't check pockets that time. (I always try to) After I freaked out and cried for a minute, I took it apart, dried everything I could and let it all sit in pieces for 24 hours. Amazingly, it worked perfectly! Then Dustin proceeded to loose it two months later...

I will say that my dryer has been making a rather strange and shockingly loud noise lately. I don't think that's such a good thing. Lucky for me I have TWO vacant apartments. And luckier still... BOTH have a dryer in them. I might just go rob one since I would only be robbing from myself... AND... since their both not being used right now, I get a choice! What a lucky girl!

5 comments:

Noodle said...

Thank you for posting a comment on my blog! I love you now. :)
Okay, yeah, I'm Melinda's mother. And Maria's friend.
And I'm in a book club with Maria. I used to live a couple of houses down from Melinda, around the corner from Maria's mom and dad's home.
Anyway, even though technically I'm old enough to be your mom, I think we have lots in common. Have you thought about joining our book group? Our next book is The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. I'm sure Maria's already invited you, but, just in case, here's another invite.
Nice to "meet" you!
Diane

Kaci said...

I love your jar posts!! I wanna see the jar! :) XOXO

In My Opinion said...

I just might have to post this week, as I have had lots of 'wash day' incidents...none of which involve the washer at fault or an actual wash day.

I was doing the clean-it-whenever there-is-a-load-and-then-leaving-it-in-baskets method, but last week I tried the don't-wash-it-until-the-laundry-room-is-pretty-full-of-dirty-clothing method because I just got tired of folding cold clothes, and ironing things that really shouldn't have to be ironed, but did because they sat in a basket...even straightened out, they just aren't the same. (That's one long sentence...take that grammar lady.)

Elena said...

I washed a crayon once and spent hours with WD40 and joy dish soap getting spots out of clothes. NIGHTMARE! And I wash more gum into clothes than I care to disclose. AND, my clothes ALWAYS shrink. ALWAYS. (I'm not a huge laundry fan.)

Kristin said...

LOL... I have a wash day (today actually), but the wash is never actually all the way done by the end of the day. That's why I turned it into Wash DayS. However, that only helps some times. Last week's last load of wash is still in the dryer.