Thursday, December 18, 2008

Yeah, Write....

Once upon a time, I had a dream of creating my own creative writing meme where all my bloggy friends would play and we would all chuckle or sigh at the silly or poignant stories that we would create. It was going to be really fun!!! And then no one played.... except Ginny. (Thanks, Ginny, for the super-duper validation!)

I figured maybe not everyone likes creative writing like I do. But, I'll be honest, it's made me a little gun-shy and it froze me in my writing tracks for a while. Well, the spring thaw is here (in December, mind you) and I want to WRITE!!! So, I'm going to write by myself. If anyone wants an exercise in creative writing, feel free to play along. I've decided that Thursdays are still going to be a fun writing day for me. This will just be a little exercize... a brain-gym if you will. Who knows... I might just get some new stories going that I might actually want to continue.

SOOOO... I need your help, please. I would like random writing prompts in my comment box on Thursdays. It could be anything. A sentence or a fragment of a sentence or a theme, or a situation that's funny, sad, cool, weird, etc. Then I'll use someone's prompt for the next Thursday's post.

Using a random phrase like that created the lime kilns story which was very fun for me to write. I really liked writing that way- forced to use a word or a phrase. It was challenging and made me take interesting directions.

I hesitate to do this because I feel like I'm trying to toot my horn... but please know that I just want to write, and I need story-writing workout session. Hence the brain gym. If I get no comments, I have a website that I found for writing prompts, but I'd rather have fun using yours if you feel inclined to give them.

So, please leave me a topic or a phrase in my comment box and I'll randomly pick one to write on next Thursday...

Thanks!!

8 comments:

Kaci said...

Hmmmmm how about one time in high school I did....

=>

Elena said...

I'm SO not creative with this kind of thing, but have you ever checked out MamaKat's Wednesday Writer's Workshops? She gives prompts every Wed. I think. Some of her things are hilarious. http://mamakatslosinit.blogspot.com/ I can't wait to see what you come up with b/c you're pretty witty.

Ginny said...

ohhhhh yay!! I am feeling all warm and toasty already! hmmm...how about "and then there were two"??? I have a hard time believing your selection will be random :-) ...but for the record i'm totally ok with that

Maria Hart said...

If you choose mine I will write with you! Mine is a true story, but the line should give you plenty to work with.

... We were helplessly stranded, that was clear. But the highway was crowded with cars and there were apartments just 100 yards away. I was wondering why no one was stopping or why we weren't walking to a phone. [He] was praying that no one would stop and desperately trying to figure out a way to stay away from the apartments and anyone that might emerge from them...

Leah said...

How about a story that must include the following words somewhere in it:
applesauce
flip
snowflakes
sneeze
lasagna
galloping
aloof

Kristin said...

Ooooh! I'm SOOO excited! I'm sorry I didn't participate last time. I was just WAY too busy to be able to stop and think. And honestly, for me to participate I'd REALLY have to have time to think. Like now, um... something for you to write about? Hmmm... I would love the rest of the story you started (and frankly, I'm happy to have you toot your own horn because we, the readers, benefit :) )

This is pathetic, but here's my attempt, "we were totally freezing, but had no desire to leave..."

Love you!

bv said...

I don't know words.

(which is why I didn't participate!)

Travis said...

I always want to participate in the writing prompts I see around the bloggosphere. But my problem is that I never have time to give them the attention they deserve.