Monday, December 1, 2008

Manic Monday: Shopping

Excuse me, would you care for some Black Friday? Yes, thank you!

I love shopping on this crazy day. I had never done it until a couple of years ago when I wanted to go see what all the fuss was about. Was it really as crazy as people said? Yes, yes it was. And yes, yes I loved it!

I laughed so hard the first time I went out. I pulled into the Wal-Mart parking lot at 4:30am and laughed my head off! The usually-full parking lot was COMPLETELY full and I couldn't stop the laughter. It was hilarious to me.

Unfortunately, not everyone feels the same as I- that it's just funny and entertaining and if they happen to get a good deal it's an extra added bonus. I just heard yesterday about a temporary Wal-Mart employee who was trampled to death in their "doorbuster" sale. This tragedy makes me sick. As I've thought about it since yesterday, I have felt a range of emotions including guilt that I went out and participated in this purchase-fest. But I have let go of that because I realize that there is a safe and courteous way to participate in Black Friday, and I am grateful to live in a place where people are friendly in their maniacal-shopping-at-4am insanity. Almost everyone I came across on this shopping-frenzy was friendly as we grinned at each other sheepishly with sleep-deprived, bleary-eyed, left-over makeup smiles. We're idiots and we knew it. And we were friends, comrades in idiocy.

So, yes, I participate in Black Friday shopping. I have fun doing it. It's pure entertainment for me. I don't care that much about the "deals". What I enjoy is the pursuit of those deals and spending time with my mom, who goes out with me into the madness.

13 comments:

Polly said...

I have only done the 5 am thing once (target) and even then, the deals I wanted were gone, so I'm more of a 7am girl...I figure if my "deal" isn't there, it wasn't meant to be. Did you get anything great this year?

Clancy In Idaho said...

Got a couple things I was after... cheap Legos (BOGOs) and something for my hunny that I can't write on here cuz he might read it! ;) And something for my mom that I can't write on here either.

Jamie said...

You and Miss Maggie Moo need to get together. I've heard of groups of women actually having tail gate breakfasts while waiting for the stores to open. Such esprit de credit card is beyond me, but I'm glad you had a good time.

Maria Hart said...

I detest the shopping madness of Black Friday! I prefer the comfortable shopping experience to be had whilst I sit in comfort on my sofa with my laptop, looking for good deals and free shipping! It is great to find a killer deal, but, like Polly, whenever we have slipped out, the deals were gone and the crowds to stifling. Internet shopping is the bomb!!

Kristin said...

LOL... I, too, am glad you had a good time. My hunny tried to get a good deal and found that people were extremely rude, plus he could barely move around. He said it was definitely not worth losing sleep. :) I went out once to a Circuit City and my mom and I were two of VERY few... the early hour was less necessary apparently. However, my kids are young, so my day may come.

Marilyn said...

I'm just really not that enthusiastic a shopper, but I can totally see how it might be fun.

Connie said...

I tried it once and vowed never to do it again. I was after a specific item which was out of stock within minutes. Not fun and very frustrating. But I can see how it would be fun if it was primarily for entertainment purposes. I'm sure many things are funny at 4 am when sleep deprived and on the verge of hypothermia. ; )

Elena said...

The first year I did it, Target was a mad house. I can TOTALLY see how someone could get trampled. YIKES! But yes, there is something about getting out there with the crazies that starts the Christmas season off with a bang. It is a riot.

Kaci said...

You nut case! :) LOL! XOXOX

Genene said...

Oh REALLY!!! You sneaky girl!!

I so essitig!!!

Genene said...

OK, ya, I'm excited and I just have to say that while part of me had a little dread at the thought of getting up and going when I had all that stuff to do that day, another part of me couldn't resist going into the fray with my pal and making a plan of where to go first and who would go which direction. And then talking on cell phones to find each other and the continual amazement at how crazy it was........ HOLY COW!! THAT WAS FUN!!! AND.... we got some killer deals!! There's nothing like "setting your intention" eh!!

LOVE YA GIRL!!

Ashley said...

I think it's fun too! I didn't go to WalMart but I DID hit up the mall that day and had a really good time! I don't go at 4 am (too lazy!) but I like going at around 9 or 10 am!

The Beckstroms said...

Adam was at Best Buy all night and got some great deals. It's pretty crazy out there on that day, but I enjoy the craziness too! Glad you got some good deals!