Wednesday, December 10, 2008

From The Jar... #26

Tell about handed-down talents, foods, dolls, willow whistles, pottery, quilting, whittling, etc.

Is that weird or is it just me? Ah well, at least it's easy!

Handed-down talents... that's easy. Singing. I said a few posts ago that we are a singing family, on my mom's side that is. All of my mom's sisters sing, as well as her lone brother. Her parents sing as well. My sisters and brothers sing too. It's just a big singing party when we're all together!

Another talent that I suppose has been handed down is sewing. My grandma (mom's side again) was an amazing seamstress. She had a real passion for it too. She could die happy in a fabric store. I can see her small fingers with her long pretty nails touching each bolt she passed and sliding the fabric between her fingers. She loves fabric and the dream of the endless possibilities that could come of it.

I don't claim to be the seamstress she was, but I really enjoy sewing and I do a fair job of it. Here are a few examples of my "work".

Easter 2004, I made both of their outfits.


Halloween 2005, I made Mac and Ella's costumes, but not Rohan's.


Halloween, 2007- Ella, the "Ice Princess".


Halloween 2007- Didn't make the shirt or the pants, just the "slashes with blood" showing and sewed the fur onto the Werewolf's legs.


Easter 2005, I made Ella's dress... did not make Mac's clothes. Don't you just love her cute little face in that last pic? lol!

I've made several costumes for opera's that I've been in, including my own costume in Die Fledermaus. I was 6 months pregnant with Rohan at the time and my body seemed to change almost daily, so I waited until the last minute to make my costume. It turned out lovely, baby belly and all!

We have some recipes in our family that are "handed down". I hope that's what the jar means when it says "food" cuz we don't have a sacred grilled cheese sandwich with the face of Mary on it that has been passed down for three generations, or any other handed-down food item, for that matter. Recipes...right!... back on track, kids. Cornbread dressing at Thanksgiving... YUM! Wacky cake. Hootnanny pancakes. Pecan pie. Among others that I am sure I can't think of right now.

As for dolls, willow whistles, pottery, quilting, and whittling... can you say random? Dolls, pottery and quilting I can see... not in my family, but I can feature it. But willow whistles and whittling? I guffaw! (insert boisterous belly laugh here) And this is where you'll forgive me if you have a sacred heirloom willow whistle that your great-great-grandfather made, or a precious whittled teacup from your pioneer ancestor that's been handed down through the ages.... I am just laughing at the randomness of the question! And no, I don't have any willow whistles or mad, generational whittling skills. LOL!


12 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

Love it, love it, love it! I can hear the singing and sewing now! I love them too! I LOVE the awesome things that you've made! They are truly incredible! Awesome job!

Kristin said...

I SOOO love Ella's 2005 costume. I have always wanted one like it (a little bigger though). You have a lot of talent. I have a sewing machine, but my husband has used it far more than I have. Maybe someday! Maybe not. ;) Who knows, though! I can wish.

Elena said...

Holy canoli, you can sew lady! Don't ever look at anything I've attempted to make. I can sew a semi straight line but that's about it. And I remember making willow whistles with my grandpa, but we never handed any down. :)

Ginny said...

k, this one made me laugh. i have zero sewing skills so this is quite impressive to me (and i want to see the six-month opera pic!!). i laughed and laughed at the interpretation of the rest. well answered!!!

Ginny said...

ps...i totally stole your "people had something to say" bit on your comments...still hoping something else comes to me but nothing yet!! hope you don't mind too much.

Kaci said...

OMG those are awesome!

Shanana said...

I am CRACKING UP over the grilled cheese sandwich story! That would certainly make for an awsome family heirloom. I'm imagining the reading of the will:

"And to you, Clancy... Grandma always considered you her favorite. You are hereby bequeathed the precious grilled cheese sandwich she has been storing on her nightstand next to her dentures for the past ten years. You are truly blessed."

Connie said...

That question was pretty random. But I loved all the pictures of things you've sewn. I especially like the 2004 Easter outfits. Sew cute ha ha ok, I'm tired.

Ashley said...

Wow, you have amazing sewing skills! That is awesome!!! I wish I had that talent handed down too. My mom sews great too, but I was never any good at it.

Leah said...

what? no willow whistle? no sitting around the campfire wittling away? THE SHAME!!

LOL Those sewing projects of yours turned out awesome! I have done several Halloween costumes and one teeny flowergirl dress. I have steared clear of "real" dresses for Emily because I'm not that great at sewing in zippers (discovered when she was 15 months old and I did her flowergirl dress), and button holes sort of tick me off a bit, too. LOL!!! I was tempted this year to make her a Christmas dress, because I just couldn't find the dress in-stores that I was envisioning for her in my head. But just didn't have the time, in the end...

anyway, happy singing, sewing, and recipe-ing... LOL

bv said...

You are one talented lady and I am proud to call you friend. What you really need to know though is that your kind and tender heart is your greatest gift!!! xxox

amy said...

so... whenever we went camping, my dad whittled something. he taught us to make willow whistles, but i never cared enough ... at all. :)

so there you have it. whittling. i still feel the urge to play with knives while i sit and watch a fire burn. but that could have nothing to do with anything, really :)