Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Proverbs a la MacElla


I once got an email that said this:

"An elementary school teacher gave each child in her class the first half of a well-known proverb and asked them to come up with the remainder of the proverb."

They were funny, but I wondered if they were real. I think the email I got said they were six year olds. I thought I'd try it out on my 8 year old Mac and my 6 year old Ella and see what they finished off these proverbs with. Enjoy...


M- Better safe than... sorry.
E- Better safe than... than you get better than sick.
The original proverb: Better to be safe than sorry!

M-Strike while the... lion pounces.
E- Strike while the... tiger runs.
The original proverb: Strike while the iron is hot!

M- It's always darkest before the... light.
E- It's always darkest before the... night falls.
The original proverb: It is always darkest before the dawn.

M- A rolling stone... falls down.
E- A rolling stone... goes falling into the river.
The original proverb: A rolling stone gathers no moss.

M- A bird in the hand is... nesting.
E- A bird in the hand is... pecking you.
The original proverb: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

M- There's nothing to fear but... spiders.
E- There's nothing to fear but... lions.
The original proverb: There's nothing to fear but fear itself.

M- If you can't stand the heat then... get out of the sun.
E- If you can't stand the heat then... go in a pool.
The original proverb: If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.

M- The squeaky wheel gets... repaired.
E- The squeaky wheel gets... a very flat tire.
The original proverb: The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

M- To err is human... but to never make a mistake is mortal.
E- To err is human... floats up.
The original proverb: To err is human, to forgive is divine.

M- I think therefore... I die.
E- I think therefore... bats around.
The original proverb: I think, therefore, I am.

M- Early to bed and early to rise makes... sunset and sunrise.
E- Early to bed and early to rise makes... something very sleepy.
The original proverb: Early to bed and early to rise makes and man healthy, wealthy and wise.

M- A journey of a thousand miles begins with... one mile.
E- A journey of a thousand miles begins with... after you like something.
The original proverb: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

M- There is nothing new... but you.
E- There is nothing new... instead of a new monkey in a cage.
The original proverb: There is nothing new under the sun.

M- The grass is always greener... on the other side.
E- The grass is always greener... because of the sun and water.
The original proverb: The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

M- Don't count your chickens...in numbers but in groups.
E- Don't count your chickens... because they might not like you.
The original proverb: Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

M- You can lead a horse to water, but... not land.
E- You can lead a horse to water, but... don't let it fly.
The original proverb: You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

M- Don't bite the hand that... feeds you.
E- Don't bite the hand that... is a very skinny one.
The original proverb: Don't bite the hand that feeds you

M- No news is... nothing.
E- No news is... something of good people.
The original proverb: No news is good news.

M- A miss is as good as... a catch.
E- A miss is as good as... possible.
The original proverb: A miss is as good as a mile.

M- You can't teach an old dog new... tricks.
E-You can't teach an old dog new...dances.
The original proverb: You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

M- If you lie down with dogs, you'll... get slobbery.
E- If you lie down with dogs, you'll... like them because they lick you and give you kisses.
The original proverb: If you lie down with dogs, you'll rise with fleas

M- The pen is mightier than... the pencil.
E- The pen is mightier than... ink.
The original proverb: The pen is mightier than the sword.

M- Where there's smoke there's... fire.
E- Where there's smoke there's... gas.
The original proverb: Where there's smoke there's fire.

M- Happy the bride who... dances with you.
E- Happy the bride who... dances with a prince.
The original proverb: Happy the bride who the sun shines on.


M- A penny saved is... mighty.
E- A penny saved is... a lot of money.
The original proverb: A penny saved is a penny earned.

M- Two's company, three's... a gang.
E- Two's company, three's... having fun.
The original proverb: Two's company, three's a crowd.

M- Don't putt off til tomorrow what you... get.
E- Don't putt off til tomorrow what... want til you don't get it.
The original proverb: Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today.

M- Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and... the universe cries with you.
E- Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and... the world cries with you and the universe spins.
The original proverb: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone.

M- Children should be seen and not... heard.
E- Children should be seen and not... hidden.
The original proverb: Children should be seen and not heard.

M- If at first you don't succeed... keep going.
E- If at first you don't succeed... you may have to sleep.
The original proverb: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

M- you get out of something what you... get in.
E- You get out of something what you... notice that you're still in the same spot.
The original proverb: You get out of something what you put into it.

9 comments:

Polly said...

LOL...I did this to Alex and Aimee a few years ago too. I'll have to get their answers to you.

I really like both M & E answers for "If you lie with dogs"

Too cute!

Maria Hart said...

My favorite is Ella's response to "I think therefore..."! Mac is one witty kid! Well, he's either witty or your family must communicate in metaphor and proverb!

Kaci said...

That's hilarious I'll have to do this with El.

Mags said...

Adorable! I always loved those emails too...there was one about prayers too and I always remember it when I pray at night...it has for the Lord's prayer and said, "Our father who art in heaven, HAROLD be thy name. "

Hee hee hee...

Happy thanksgiving!!

Rachel Chick said...

I think my favorite is "don't bite the hand that . . . is a very skinny one." LOL!!! Couldn't agree more Ella. LOL!

Leah said...

I'm sorry to admit that I ran out of time to read all of them and wanted to comment, at least, before I ran out of the house... But Ella's "instead of a new monkey in a cage" answer almost made me spit out my drink I was so quick to laugh. HILARIOUS!

Kristy said...

That was really fun to read! Kids are so funny, I love the things they say.

Genene said...

Oh my stars! I had quite a few faves. The first one I REALLY laughed out loud about was.... There's nothing to fear but spiders! Ha ha ha ha ha!

There's definitely some childlike wisdom in the Journey of a thousand miles begins with... after you like something. Ya gotta want something to start that long journey eh?!

Skinny hand, slobbery dogs, the three man gang, I might have to sleep, a nesting bird pecking me!! Ha ha ha, I could go on! Too fun!

Marilyn said...

This was great. My favorite was the pen is mightier than the pencil.