Thursday, November 6, 2008

Phone, Sweet Phone

My mom smells good. I'm not sure what the magic combination is... perfume, makeup, bath soap, farm house and acreage with a stiff breeze blowing through it? I haven't figured it out, but she carries around on her person one of my three favorite smells on this green earth. On Tuesday, I had an errand to run and she popped over to watch my kids for just a half an hour. I returned and she left. End of story. Or so I thought.

The next morning I was sitting at my computer and I picked up the phone to call someone. As I brought the phone to my face, my senses were assailed with that sweet scent that is my mother. I was not immediately and consciously aware of her scent that first time I picked up the phone. As the day wore on and I made or answered more phone calls I would inhale deeply and think of my mom. I realized that the phone smelled like her. I thought this was strange. She was only here for a few minutes. Why would she come to my dungeon, uhhh basement and talk on my dumb, non-cordless phone?

I asked her later on if she was on the phone in the basement while she was here. Indeed she was. She came down to check something online and the phone rang. She was on it for all of one minute.

"Why do you ask", she said. I told her that my phone smells like her. She laughed out loud.

It's been two days now and her lovely scent still lingers when I say 'hello'. It makes me smile, and I feel privileged to be the daughter of such an amazing woman who wears a scent as sweet as she.

9 comments:

Leah said...

now THAT is very very cool

Polly said...

Aww...that is awesome. Moms definitely have their own scent.

Kristin said...

You look so much like your mother. Before I read anything I knew it was her. Very cool about her scent. I didn't love my mom's scent... to strong perfume, but I'd take it back in a heartbeat!

Ginny said...

LOVE this!!! and i don't know if you smell like her, but your eyes light up a room like hers do!!!

The Beckstroms said...

Clancy, you are such an incredible writer..keep it up, I love reading it all! Also, your mom is fabulous! We spent many a day at the Wight's and it was always so great and memorable!

Rachel Chick said...

Love your mom! --- By the way, Clancy, what are you doing UP?? You need to go to bed! :)

Travis said...

Recently I went on a business trip and my mom came up to visit with my Lady. We have a throw blanket on the sofa. When I got home, that blanket had the wonderful mixture of scents...my Lady and my mom.

It was very comforting, and a nice feeling of home.

corinne said...

Your cute mom hasn't changed a bit. I also remember many good memories at the Wight home!

corinne said...

Your cute mom hasn't changed a bit. I also remember many good memories at the Wight home!