Monday, November 17, 2008

Manic Monday: Season

As I was flipping through the idea file in my brain for what to write on for the word season, my computer was flipping through pictures via my screen saver. This image surfaced on my computer:


Ella and my endlessly amazing Grandma Carol.

And this scripture surfaced in my mind:

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-2


I've mentioned before that my Grandma was sunshine in human form. She embodied all that is good in this world. She has been on my mind.

When we had Thanksgiving at her home, we would often arrive the night before and stay at her house. I would wake up and help her get everything ready. I would set the table, wash and peel potatoes with her, clean the house, make the Jello, make the clam dip or just keep her company as she went about her preparations. Each year she would vocalize a question wondering how she ever did this without me there to help. She would carry on about how it was much funner with me there. I know she managed just fine in my absence, but her praise bolstered my self-worth and earmarked my existence as one that was worthy and absolute.

I lived a season of my life with my incredible grandmother's direct influence and then, as they inevitably do, the seasons changed leaving a vacant hole where once had been her welcoming home and heart... the physical form of she.

I miss her so much. In her season that she filled to capacity with devotion, respect and generosity of spirit, she planted herself into the heart and soul of every person who was privy to her influence. She exuded love and acceptance to all she encountered. She smiled before she said 'hello' on the phone and you could hear her smile in every nuance of conversation. She always increased the value of anything or anyone she touched, and her love was never conditional, but unequivocal and endless.

And, as there was a season for her life, so there is a season for me to "pluck up that which is planted". She planted these gifts for me to nourish and share, a lesson taught in each memory.

If the world could only have a few more Grandma Carols in it there would be more smiles and more laughter. More joy and more acceptance. More tongue bitting and more words of encouragement. More grace and more beauty. More sunshine in human form.

I love you and miss you, Grandma. Thank you for the gift that your life was.

14 comments:

Greyscale Territory said...

Your gift of sunshine in human form is just so beautiful! Here, you have given your grandma an endless season all her own! Wonderful post!

Kaci said...

That is a beautiful post and picture Clancy! XOXO

Jamie said...

Such a beautiful tribute to your grandmother.

Turn, Turn, Turn

Leah said...

aww, that was a beautiful post. You really have a way with words!

Nicky said...

That was beautiful Clank. I have tears in my eyes.

Ginny said...

i love good people...especially when we have the good fortune to be related to them, and therefore enjoy more frequent interaction with them! this was a very fun post...as soon as I saw "season" I mentally went to ecclesiates as well. great minds, i suppose!! :-)

Kristin said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. It makes me think of my mom (everything does these days).

Kristin said...

P.S. For the record (just read Ginny's comment) I thought of the same thing when I thought of season.

Genene said...

Hello darling one,
I, too, wept, when I read your post. I've been thinking of Gramma Carol a lot these past couple of weeks and it was very poignant to find your post on her today.

Beautiful words by a beautiful girl. Two sunshine spirits, you & Gramma!

Thank you
Mom

Travis said...

Thank you for sharing those wonderful words about your grandmother. I know something of that kind of special relationship.

Mic and Jazzy said...

great post clancy. i love this thankful time of year.

triplej said...

Great Clancy...it is amazing how much spirit you can feel through that post. You really are amazing. That was beautiful and made me think of the many great loved ones I am too thankful for who have had their SEASON on Earth. Love ya....Jen

Crazy Man said...

I miss her so much.

Polly said...

That was a wonderful tribute. Her spirit lives on in all of those whose lives she touched and who will use her knowledge and love.