Monday, November 24, 2008

Manic Monday: Harvest

Being that Thanksgiving is THIS WEEK (are you kidding me!?) I'm pretty sure I should be nostalgic and wistful as I think about the word harvest, but I'm not feeling that so much today. On Friday last, I peeked at the Manic Monday word and I must say that the only thing that kept coming back to me was this:

It disturbs me, being an organ donor as I am, that should I die and all circumstances be right with my dead body, they would take my organs and use them to heal others. I am not disturbed that they take them or that other people would have them and be helped. That's why I'm a donor. What disturbs is that they use the word harvest to describe the process.

I am dead, and someone is standing over my body with a scalpel. They might say, "Let us reap this harvest of Clancy's kidneys and liver, heart and corneas..." Do you think they'd say a prayer over me thanking God for this bountiful harvest of Clancy and her healthy body?

9 comments:

Leah said...

It IS rather disturbing that they use the word harvest, isn't it? I never really thought about it before, but you're right! and kudos to you for being an organ donor!

Ginny said...

k, this one made me laugh...as did the swimming bit below, btw. i, too, am a donor, but choose not to think about the details because i already have and it is too much for me to grapple with. thanks for regurgitating the harvesting issues!! LOL!!! :-)

Connie said...

I've always thought that "harvesting" was an odd term to use when referring to taking organs for donation too. But good for you for being a donor. (I'm still trying to think of a harvest post for today.)

Polly said...

Hmm...I never thought it was an odd word to use actually. I guess it sort of is. I am an organ donor too and as long as they are going to serve a good purpose, I don't really care what they say...after all I'll be dead.

However, I will say that whoever is receiving the organ is almost certainly saying a prayer of thanks for the generous harvest!

beth s. said...

While they may not use those exact words, many, many people would offer prayers of thanksgiving in whatever way their hearts could best express it. And I would hope those with the scalpal would not forget what a miracle and sacrifice organ donation is and the amazing responsibility they have as "harvesters"!

Travis said...

Harvesting organs has kind of a sinister ring to it, doesn't it? Now I'm creeped out.

Genene said...

To reap or gather........... yep, that's what they do all right. I, too, am a donor and the whole relationship with my physical body and learning how to be somewhat detached from the notion that THAT is all I am, or rather, I AM NOT THAT, is a process. I wax & wane with the detachment or attachment I have. I choose to be a donor as a commitment to my "detachment" to thinking I'm physical. After all, even our bodies are energy and the illusion of solidity we have as mortals or physical beings is just that, illusion, comfort for our small physical, natural man mind. So, interesting post all in all.

I laughed at Travis' post..... Now I'm creeped out! LOL

Kaci said...

I never thought of it that way...eww though! :) OXXO

bv said...

you are a freakin kick in the pants!!! i'm calling now!!!!