Wednesday, November 12, 2008

From The Jar... #24

This was supposed to be a relaxed day and it turned into anything but relaxed. But it was good. (Thanks again, Maria, for watching my kids, feeding me and my kids dinner, getting them to eat SALAD(!), substituting for me for choir, having a "lesson" with me, and for being my friend!) So, needless to say, I didn't get to my jar post. But... staying up late is what I do best so without further ado...


Would you choose differently if you could choose your occupation again?


No. My occupation is being a mother and I wouldn't ever trade my kids. They are incredible. Sometimes motherhood kicks me in the shorts, (OK, on a daily basis) but it's what I've always wanted,I learn everyday from them, and I love my "job".
This is me at "work" several years ago. Mac painted on the wall in our old house.

As for my other things that I do (landlording, pretzel dipping), I'd have to say yes on the pretzels, no on the landlording. I've dipped enough pretzels to last me for two or three lifetimes. Landlording, challenging as it's been, I wouldn't choose differently for the education I have received. I've learned so much about so many different things including learning about myself. It has been invaluable. I'm sure these things will serve me in the future. And for that matter.... the pretzels have taught me alot about myself too. They just so happen to be what I was procrastinating upon yesterday. So, really, I probably wouldn't change anything. I've said it before, my life is exactly perfect. Everything has been for my good, including the hard things.

If I had to have an "occupation" as in a job I would love to be a writer or a graphic designer, or a blogger. Can I get paid to blog? lol! I'm working on that one since I spend so much time doing it! :)

14 comments:

Ashley said...

I don't know Anyone who would seriously trade in being a mother! I'd never trade it either. I just wish I could figure out some way to get paid to travel! I used to work as a travel agent and got some fun discounted trips, but to REALLY get paid to travel the world would be my dream job!

Clancy In Idaho said...

OOoh!! Good one, Ashley! I want that one too!

Kaci said...

Oooo I so would trade in what I do so I can be a stay at home Mom! LOL! :) I envy you guys! XOXO

Connie said...

Being a mom is fantastic isn't it? Too bad it doesn't pay better. :) And every time you talk about dipping pretzels on here it brings back memories. You just need to hire yourself a bunch of crazy teenagers to help you with the pretzels.

Clancy In Idaho said...

Connie... I've totally thought of that. I just need a different space to do it in if that was the case. I totally feel like Andrea. She seemed so old and look at me! I think Mac is older than Brianna was when I started dipping for her. Crazy!

Brecca said...

Your kids really are super awesome, its mainly because they have such an awesome mom. Can't believe that painting on the wall pic- did it clean up ok?

Holly said...

I still can't eat dipped pretzels. I guess I ate one too many back in the day. It always sounds like you put in a lot of time and effort into your kids, so I'm sure they're glad you wouldn't trade them too! Parenting is hard, but has the best rewards.

Leah said...

I wouldn't trade being a mother either. I babysit once or twice a week, and I debate about whether I'd like to trade that one or not. LOL there are days I feel I spend so much of my energy and time on the baby I babysit, that there's just nothing left for my own kids, and the whole point of me being home is to be there for MY kids, you know? already today, I had to give up tryign to read to the boys because the baby I am babysitting wouldn't stop screaming. Then we had to put away the puppets they had out, because try as we might, the baby kept finding her way over there and was working towards destroying them. And I couldn't let them get legos out like they wanted because they're too small for the baby to be around. etc etc etc. But on the flip side, this baby is family (my cousin's daughter) and I love her dearly.

if you figure out how to get paid for blogging, let me know. I don't claim to be any sort of blogging genius, but I do put a lot of time/effort in updating mine and changing the look from time to time, and it would be nice to be compensated for my time (who DOESN'T want to get paid for doing things they enjoy???) LOL! we can dream!

Kristin said...

This was fun to read. When I read occupation I immediately thought of a career-type occupation, not motherhood. However, being a mom certainly does occupy us! :)

For the record, I wouldn't trade it either. The benefits far outweigh the cons!

xoxox

Maria Hart said...

I am hoping to one day finish a PhD and be a college professor, of history, specifically women's history. I love being a mother. I love home schooling my kids. I am a strong advocate for self-directed learning and continual education in the less traditional jump-through-university-hoops methods, or simply put, reading good books (not just drivel).

Good luck making money as a blogger, few are able to do it... and it usually comes from ads. You can sign on and let Google choose advertisements for you, but you may disagree with many ads philosophically and if you want Google's money, you just have to take it in the chin. Actually, many bloggers choose not to sign on because they want to be more selective in their unabashed advertising, choosing ads that actually reflect their blog topic. I follow a blog called scribbit.blogspot.com and she has been going for years, has a steady following, and great product-giveaways, but she herself has claimed there is little to no money in this hobby. However, www.thepioneerwoman.com has a great multi-faceted website and blog and I think she does pretty well. As does the guy who started www.thesimpledollar.com - who turned his financial blogging obsession into a profession. I think the key is finding your niche: Scribbit is a mom from Alaska, Pioneer Woman lives in the middle of nowhere cattle-ranch-ville and also offers great Photoshop tutorials (her photos are beautiful), and Simple Dollar offers financial advice in real terms for real people in a very real and approachable, applicable way.

I don't want to discourage your passion, just offer some realistic examples of people doing it now. Also, you have enough talent and ability... you should either write that book of fiction I know is ruminating around in your head or tackle a book of poetry. If you're going to go big, go big. Let the publishing do your marketing.

Maria Hart said...

I meant publisher...

Teri Hansen said...

Hi, Clancy, all I can add is live your dreams. I'm looking forward to your book. You can do it!!

Miss Pickle said...

i would love to get paid for bloggin!

Polly said...

I wouldn't trade being a mother either.

I'd like to get paid for blogging, writing, and learning...getting paid to learn would be awesome!