Wednesday, October 22, 2008

From The Jar... #22 (revisited)

I wrote a witty and colorful account the other night of this jar topic, but, as you all recall, that got flushed down the cyber toilet, never to be seen again. It's probably floating in the lost-post cyber-sewer-treatment-plant right now... next to your lost blog entry. So, I will make an attempt to recapture what I wrote previously. You can be sure I'll be watching that autosave every few minutes.

So LAST week the Jar said:

Tell a courtship story about your parents. How they met, how they got engaged, etc.

My parents have a tidy little package for all three. Meeting, courtship and engagement.

My dad was 20. My mom was 19. Mom was attending Ricks College in Idaho and Dad lived in Salt Lake. My mom went down to SLC to visit her friend, Sydney, for the weekend and on Sunday they went to church together. My mom saw my dad for the first time while he was passing the sacrament. He had hair down to the middle of his back, and my mom thought that long hair was hot stuff! (who are we kidding, she still thinks that to this day!) She nudged her friend and asked, "Who's the long-hair?" (I could be making stuff up... Mom, if you read this, feel free to fill in holes or tell me I'm up in the night if I'm wrong.)

She was intrigued at first glance. Later on that evening, Sydney had a bunch of people, my father included, over to her house to play games, etc. Mom and Dad met and talked all evening. Then it was time for everyone to leave, so my mom walked my dad halfway home (just down the street). They stood on the corner shivering (it was wintery cold outside) and talking for another two hours! Those crazy kids...

As my dad came home that night, he talked to his own father for a bit. In the course of their conversation my dad said, "Dad, I've met the girl I'm going to marry. What should I do?"

My grandpa replied, "GET TO KNOW HER!" (Nice try, Gramps!)

My mom was supposed to go home on Sunday, but Sydney told her she'd drive her back to Idaho on Tuesday so she could see a guy she had been dating at the airport as he left on his mission. I can't remember if he flew out on Monday or Tuesday, but I know my dad and mom saw each other on one or both of those days.

On Tuesday, Mom went back with her crazy friends (who like roasted peanuts- ha!) to Idaho amidst a terrible snowstorm. On Wednesday, my dad called and said that he was coming to Idaho on Saturday to ski and could he see her? (was the skiing part right? I can't remember for sure.) So, he came up Saturday and they did see eachother. I don't know what their evening consisted of, except that it ended with them talking in my dad's car in Island Park, wherein my dad asked my mom to marry him. She shocked herself by saying, "Yes. It's too soon, but I say yes." It was a very powerful spiritual moment for them both.

So, in six days, they went from being strangers to being affianced. (Six days, you say? Yes, you're right. That would be the same amount of time it took me to freakin' decide to marry my sweetheart!) And, they are still married thirty-five years later. Quite happily, in fact.




A shout out to my parents for the awesome example they are to me of unconditional love and acceptance, for the incredible and undying support that they give to me, my husband, and my little family, and for the path they forge of growth and change and learning. I love you, Mom and Dad. You gave me life and by doing so you gave me gifts [solicited or "un"! ;)] that are my joy and/or my greatest lessons that keep me moving forward in my own growth. Thank you. Love you.

12 comments:

Carmy said...

i've heard that story tons of times...and i still love it!! it never gets old!! <3

Kaci said...

AWHHHHH!!! ♥ true ♥

Kristin said...

Awesome story! My parents were high school sweethearts, so the stories aren't as colorful (or are more, I guess). :)

Ginny said...

tidy is a nice word for that! my sister and husband went from strangers to phone conversation to meeting to engaged in 9 days and I thought that was crazy!! fun record!!

Ginny said...

p.s. i like the new look!

Leah said...

wow, what a neat story!

If I remember correctly, my mom said that my dad hung out with the "hooligans" of the school, and they always stood down a length of hallway (which everyone else avoided because of this group). My mom was 15-ish years old (her words!) and he started trying to talk to her, but she thought he was a bully and ignored him (he was a grade older). He was persisant and they started dating, and for her 16th birthday, he bought her a really pretty necklace (which I wore as my "borrowed" item on my wedding day). I'm not sure when they got engaged, but they got married one week after my mom graduated from high school. She wasn't even 18 yet so her parents had to sign for her. They've been married 33 years...

There's no way I'd sign for my 17 year old daughter to get married! ack! LOL

Ginny said...

how'd you get rid of the blogger bar at the top? and i do miss your smiling face when i get on!! ;-)

Clancy in Idaho said...

Working on my smiling face, Ginny! I don't know how I got rid of it. I'm a little concerned, frankly... I don't know how to access my dashboard now. :)

I'm all grouchy about the whole new look because I lost all my links (my own fault... up and down from the computer and they got lost in the confusion) as I changed templates. All my "friends" are gone and I have to input those by hand. If you didn't notice, there were a lot of them. GRRRR....

I'll get it back but what was supposed to take five minutes will now take two hours (that includes the time I've spent trying to figure out where they all went! Down to the cyber-sewer-treatment plant, right?)

Polly said...

I hadn't heard that whole story. How fun!

Brecca said...

You parents are definately awesome examples of a great marriage. I love being around them~ and their awesome children. Thanks for the story of their engagement, I hadn't heard it before. I like the new look on the blog but I hear ya with the changing everything over- it happens to me each time and so I don't change very often.

Rachel Chick said...

What great parents you have! Fun to hear their story. Sorry about your sewage problems - but I love the new look!!

Genene said...

Clancy Leigh..... The only details that weren't perfect were too insignificant to matter. (and that really is ambiguous because my memory that used to be perfect isn't so perfect these days. Thanks for the kudos and love....... I laughed my head off when I scrolled down & saw that picture of Dad & I when we were young... holy cow! We were babies!! We're still cute though. even with my "boy" hair :-P