Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tue Pose a Question

Tuesdays are now my official question days. I often wonder silly things- some rhetorical, some not. Either way I've decided to wonder them into the blogosphere.

Tueday's *chuckles to herself* question: Why do they say the phrase "easy as pie"? In my experience pie is not easy in any way, shape, or form. I am a total advocate of homemade pie crust- there's just nothing better- but, come on! It's a pain in the WATOOSIE! I have gotten fairly good at making pie crusts. They are not always pretty, but they always taste divine. Divine or not, there's nothing easy about it. Then you have to fill the stinkin' things. Take apple pie for instance. Slicing, peeling, coring, measuring, tossing, arranging, fluting, latticing or sealing, cutting out a cute little vent hole pattern... easy is not the first word that pops into MY head. Actually, the last time I made apple pie it actually was fairly easy, but only because I capitalized on my mother's efforts by using her homemade, bottled apple pie filling. (plus I bought a frozen crust... hey- get off my case, I was in college and had not refined my crust making abilities!!) Coconut cream is my personal favorite. Make crust dough, put in pie plate, flute edges, poke all over with a fork, layer with foil, weight with beans, bake for a few minutes, remove beans, bake til golden brown, cool and we haven't even started talking about the filling that you have to stir for the rest of your life... (or until thickened and boil for one minute, then add butter and vanilla. I do like to exaggerate!) Easy as pie, huh? I don't thiiiink soooo!

Maybe they are talking about some other aspect of pie when they use this term? Perhaps the Sara Lee or Marie Callander's varitey?? Preheat oven to 400, slice open cardboard, place in oven, bake for 45 minutes until golden brown? Those are easier to make, not as easy to eat in my opinion.

Ah, wait! I may have just figured it out... I must rescind my previous statement of "pie is not easy in any way, shape or form." I found the "easy" in "easy as pie"! The easy part for me is the eating part! I hereby declare a revamp of the age-old phrase! The new official version (at least in Clancy's world!) will be: "Easy as eating pie"!

10 comments:

Merrianne said...

i love this!!!! you think the way I think!!!!

ok

yeah--PIE IS HARD! i made my first pie a couple of weeks ago....it turned out really good...but still it WASN'T EASY!!!!


BUT {just like you said} EATING it sure was EASY!!!!!

Kaci said...

LOL! I never thought of that but soooooooo true!! LOL!

Nicky said...

mmm... pie. I can't wait for Thanksgiving!

bv said...

Looks like you nailed it!
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/as-easy-as-pie.html

Yuv yu!

Leah said...

VERY GOOD POINT!! LOL

Ginny said...

k, that was kind of random!! :-) maybe that's why i liked it!

Kristy said...

That was so funny! I agree...pie is not easy to make, but I like your point, eating it IS EASY! Random thoughts are fun, thanks for sharing that!

Maria Hart said...

I'm hungry... next time you make coconut cream pie (even with a purchased crust) can I invite myself over? By the way, I am running tomorrow... meet me at the track if you are in town, and interested!

Big Sis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Big Sis said...

Ha ha!!! I couldn't resist, during the whole post I wanted to know where it came from too! AND you're SOOO right on the 'easy as eating pie' bit! See here:

It seems that, while not being easy to make, pies are generally thought to be easy to eat. At least, that was the view in 19th century America, where this phrase was coined. There are various mid 19th century US citations that, whilst not using 'as easy as pie' verbatim, do point to 'pie' being used to denote pleasantry and ease. For example, the related phrase 'as nice as pie' was used in Which: Right or Left? in 1855:

"For nearly a week afterwards, the domestics observed significantly to each other, that Miss Isabella was as 'nice as pie!'"

In The Adventures Huckleberry Finn, 1884, Mark Twain twice uses 'pie' in that same context:

"You're always as polite as pie to them."

"So he took him to his own house, and dressed him up clean and nice,... and was just old pie to him, so to speak."

Pie was also used at that time for something that was easy to accomplish. For example, The US magazine Sporting Life, May 1886:

"As for stealing second and third, it's like eating pie."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_of_the_saying_easy_as_pie