Monday, September 29, 2008

Manic Monday: Nuts

Squirrels and nuts. A match made in heaven, or so the media likes us to think. (think childhood cartoons or the recent version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...) Interestingly enough, I have, in the last 5 1/2 weeks, learned that a squirrel living solely on nuts will develop metabolic bone disease and it will die. Nuts are like candy to a squirrel. They have little to no calcium, a requirement for a healthy squirrel. It's a funny thing because when people think of squirrels they think of nuts, but, like anything else in excess, too many nuts are bad news for little squirrels. So next time you're feeding your squirrel, put away the nuts and give broccoli a try! Your squirrel will thank you!

4 comments:

Travis said...

I had no idea. But I guess now that you bring it up, it does make sense. I guess that definitely proves that a healthy, balanced diet is the way to go.

Cheers!

MERRIANNE said...

interesting....

and

that little fella is soo cute!

Kristin said...

SO CUTE! I love that you're learning things about raising a squirrel. So cool! And interesting information.

Dan and Jen said...

He is a cutie! I can see why you are a proud mommy. I love reading your posts. You are such a great writer! I am totally entertained every time.