Sunday, September 7, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad...

... a bit late! Yesterday was my Dad's fifty-sixth birthday and, I must say, I don't know another fifty-six year old quite like him. Dustin came home from karate yesterday morning and said, "I told your dad 'Happy Birthday! ...Fifty-six and still kickin'- hard!'' (Dustin and my dad are both brown belts in Shotokai Karate, and they are the instructors for our local group) Dust then proceeded to tell me about a kick my dad delivered while Dustin was holding a giant kicking pad for him. Through this big pad, it still hit Dustin in the stomach and made him feel like he was going to throw up! Can you imagine your dad doing that? Cool old guy, huh? ;)

Another fun agile-old-guy story happened about two years ago. Dust and I went over to pick up my dad to go somewhere. He forgot something in his house and I watched him run and hurdle the three-and-a-half foot fence that they have around their yard! Dustin said, "There's not many fifty-four year old guys that could do that!" He ROCKS.

My dad chose to spend his special day working on our remodel job in our basement. Isn't he the BEST?! He has some mad building skills. He knows SO MUCH about construction and remodeling- it blows my mind. There's a term we've all heard: Jack of all trades, master of none. Not my dad... he's the Jack of all trades, master of most. He is amazing and does such fine work. I'm so proud of him and I want the world to know it!


Dad holding grandkids Ella and Lance!

7 comments:

Polly said...

Happy Happy Birthday! I love those stories to perfectly illustrate your thoughts!

Carmy said...

how cute!! yeah i called him last night when he was over at your house!! he is one of the most remarkable men i know and if i have a question about ANYTHING he knows the exact answer!! god truly has blessed me with having such an amazing person to look up to!! <3

Maria Hart said...

I have been enjoying your blog even though I haven't had much time to comment. I enjoy your fresh, positive perspectives. You have a very engaging writing style and thoughtful posts. You are a good woman and I enjoy being your friend. I think I get the better end of it! Your Dad is a great man. I have only interacted with him briefly on a couple of occasions, but I have found him to be kind, sincere, interested, and passionate about his family... obviously traits that have been passed along!

Kristin said...

Wow! That's awesome! I love the posts you do on your family... I can tell you love them!

Kaci said...

Awwwh Happy Birthday!! Cute picture!

Leah said...

Happy Birthday to your dad!! He sounds like a neat guy! Very cute pic of him with the grandkids. LOL!!!

Big Sis said...

YAY for b-days!!! happy birthday uncle brayt!!! he's so super groody AND can hurdle fences... awesome!