Wednesday, September 24, 2008

From The Jar... #19

I have some new readers, so I thought I'd let you know that you are invited to play "From the Jar" with me! Read here to see what it's all about and how to play! :)

And the jar says...


How did you first meet your in-laws?


This was one of those times where Dustin and I were only "sort-of" dating... not really officially. (For more on that story, click here.) Dustin's sister has a son named Wesley. He was getting blessed and Dustin invited me to go along with him to the blessing. As we arrived, we walked into the church building and his mom and dad met us out in the hall. Dustin introduced me to his parents and the first thing his mom said to me was, "OH! You're so pretty!" I blushed a bit, thanked her, and was, naturally, very flattered. I had seen pictures of his dad and I remember thinking how gentle and nice he seemed. It was true. He's got a gentleness about him that's soothing somehow. (although I've since learned that he's got some spit and vinegar in there too!)
I didn't know it then, but after we were married I learned that Roger (that's my pop-in-law) walked away from meeting me and said something to the effect of, "That girl is going to be my daughter-in-law. That's the girl that Dustin is going to marry." I found that very interesting. Obviously my gentle, spit and vinegar father-in-law is also very intuitive. Cool beans.

That was also the first time I met Clover, my sister-in-law. She was cute and friendly. I think she must have been fairly wrapped up in the blessing stuff cuz I don't really remember talking to her much.

I don't remember if Callin, Dustin's brother, was there or not. He left on his church mission just a couple months before we got married, and got back just before I had Mac. Callin is a sweetie- super fun and super easy-going.

A side note here... Callin's wife, Tricia, has a brother that we are praying tonight. He was in a terrible car accident on Sunday and is in very serious condition. Any prayers from any of you would be much appreciated. I've seen the blogging world come together in amazing ways, but all I'm asking for is a little praying. Thanks.

11 comments:

Carmy said...

oh no!!! he will be in my prayers tonight that's for sure!! how awful!!! God bless his heart!!!
and i just wanted to say a P.S...you are VERY pretty!! ( even 10 years later^_^ hee hee)

MERRIANNE said...

COOL STORY!!! I LOEV YOUR "FROM THE JAR" THINGS!

AND

I HOPE TRICIA'S BROTHER WILL BE OK.

CAR WRECKS ARE SCARY!! AND THERE SEEM TO BE SO MANY OF THEM LATELY!!!!

Kaci said...

Prayers of course!

Amazing that your father in law knew. That's awesome!!

Leah said...

What a fun story, and your FIL should buy lottery tickets or something...

HUGE prayers sent to Tricia's brother...

When my husband and I first started dating, I'd been graduated from high school for a year and he had JUST graduated like a month before. So we were both still living at home. He invited me over and we were in the back yard goofing around and I started attempting head-stands. After an especially graceful collapse on my part, I noticed I had an audience. His parents had come home and were standing there on the deck clearly amused at the girl making a fool of herself in their backyard. So I met them for the first time with grass in my hair and a head rush from being upside down too long. LOL!

Amanda and Beau said...

Clancy!!! Your blog is so much fun!! You are adorable. I had fun reading through your past blogs. Thanks for finding me!

Kristin said...

Fun story! I don't remember the first time I met my in-laws. It was probably one of our earlier dates and didn't rate that high on my significance chart (how sad, I know).

P.S. You have my prayers!

Holly said...

Thanks for re-explaining the Jar thing. I think it's a great idea. I may have to eventually steal/borrow it for my own blog (ahem) if that's okay. =)

Sorry about the accident. I hope everything turns out alright.

As far as meeting my in-laws, it was when my husband returned from his mission (I wasn't really waiting for him or anything I had recently returned from my own mission. We actually met in the MTC of all places. Long story). I went to his homecoming and there met most of his family. With him having just returned home I think they were worried that I was somehow going to steal him away or something. He hadn't talked about me at all so I was a little bit of a surprise to his family. With a lot of misunderstandings going around it ended up not being that great as I reflect on it, but since everyone's been great.

Brecca said...

I grew up one street over from the Hammonds and therefore, in the same ward. I have loved and respected his mom and dad since I was little. They both are wonderful to me and very good examples of the gospel, or marriage, and how to live a good live. It took a about a year of marriage to get all those sisters straight but they are all awesome. And I totally love being in the Hammond family- cause now I have way cool cousins like Clancy and Dustin.

Hope things go well with the aftermath of the car accident. We will pray for them.

bv said...

You know, YOU ARE SO PRETTY! I'm sorry to hear about Tricia's brother and will keep you all in our prayers.

Love your words!
xxox

Maria Hart said...

My MIL said the same thing, only it was a little more broad. She was my YW president when I was a Laurel... she knew I was going to marry one of her sons... I had five to choose from at that point! I am absolutely convinced I chose the best one!

Megryansmom said...

I like the JAR idea, I'll try to play next week. This weeks' question isn't a good one for me :(