Sunday, August 10, 2008

My Heritage

Any of you who have known me or read my blog for a while know that singing is vitally important to me. It makes me HAPPY. It makes me light. It brings me so much joy and satisfaction. It's also in my blood, reaching back generations.

I had a jar post a while ago where I talked about my aunts. I said I would try to get some recordings of my aunt Tana singing on here.... well, tonight I figured out how. These are not professionally recorded, but they are incredibly sweet. This was recorded on a reel to reel around twenty years ago or more. (I think!) It is my maternal grandmother and my aunt Tana singing. Tana is also playing the guitar. The first two songs, Free and Bright Light, my grandma wrote. The last one, The Sweetest Gift, someone else wrote, but it is my favorite. This is such a treasure to me that I have these recordings of my Grandma and my aunt singing together. My grandma is the lower voice, Tana, the higher. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Boomp3.com

Boomp3.com

Boomp3.com

Those three are very folk sounding, but here is my aunt in her big performance voice... I believe this was recorded at her church's Christmas Eve program. My favorite is at the end when the choir comes in behind her.... it gives me chills.

Boomp3.com

8 comments:

Kaci said...

Oh wow Clancy!! So beautiful, beautiful!!

BTW love the new picture...lookin' like a hot Momma!!

Genene said...

Clancy,
you should ask Tana to tell you the "rest of the story". When she sang night of miracles Mom & Dad were sitting there at her church with her and so the could be surprised (or something) da, da, da......... she needs to tell you I think. It is a very sweet story! It's a great heritage!

Love you
Mom

Genene said...

So "they" could be surprised. (hee hee)

Maria Hart said...

Beautiful. I love folk music, but her voice is so pure on "Night of Miracles", that is easily my favorite of the set. I think it is significant we are given the families we are... heritage is not just blood lines or good stories. Talents are inherent also.

Kristin said...

This is awesome! Beautiful! How nice that you have these recordings.

Leah said...

WOW! I sure wish I could sing like that! I wish I could sing period! Thanks for sharing those...

bv said...

Nothing will EVER compare to you singing "A Long Time Ago" as you play the piano!!!!!!!

Polly said...

I love those songs. We turn them on whenever we need that little renewal. I might have to ask you how to add songs and pictures to the middle of a post.