Monday, September 1, 2008

Manic Monday: Iron



It was the ironing board in the wall that closed the deal. Isn't it silly that something so small could make the difference? It also helped that the kitchen was yellow from floor to ceiling.... yellow is such a happy color. We had been apartment hunting for two days solid and nothing had felt like a fit for us until we saw that yellow kitchen and built-in ironing board. We knew we were home. Our first home.

How strange that in only a week, we would be married and living here together- sleeping in the same bed, washing our hands with the same bar of soap, hanging our clothes in the same closet, and sharing our fears, our dreams, and our love in the same moment. Who could guess at that point what our lives would bring? That all of our early memories would be wrapped up in a basement apartment with a musty room, hissing radiators, a carpeted bathroom, a yellow kitchen, and an ironing board that was built into the wall...


Be sure to visit Mo for more Manic Monday fun!

12 comments:

splummer said...

That's a great story!! Did you use the ironing board in the wall??

Polly said...

I always wanted and ironing board built into the wall. It seems like such a smart way to utilize the space! I have also had a yellow wall (not the whole kitchen, just a wall in the dining room) It was very cheery, although I didn't paint it myself. I was looking through a magazine at the register just after I moved in to that house, and there was a dining room that was all yellow. The lady in front of me said, "who would use yellow to paint a room of their house? That's so crazy" Instead of shying away, I just said, "I have a whole wall that's yellow, and I really like it, it adds a lot of happiness" She didn't really say anything back, I guess she was just looking to gripe together, so I didn't satisfy her grocery line need.

bv said...

one more reason i heart you! geez, you are good! good? great!

thanks for the call. sorry it was crazy. i do so love you.

TopChamp said...

I have never heard of such a thing... an ironing board built in? Wow!

Travis said...

That's a great memory. Thanks for sharing it.

lucy said...

My ironing board is built into a drawer in my kitchen cabinet...it pulls out like a drawer and then unfolds to its full size...I love it. Your story is great!

Kaci said...

Awhhh I love this story!! :)

Leah said...

sounds like it was the perfect place for you at the time!!!

Forget the built in ironing board. I want the built in maid who does the ironing for me... LOL!

Rachel Chick said...

Love it! Have you decided what to write yet??? --- Or are there more pressing "holes" in your life that are needing filled right now? :) Have any working drains yet?

Clancy in Idaho said...

All drains working! Toilet flushes like a dream come true. It's the little things...

Concrete should be coming today so there'll be no more "holes" in our floor. YAY!!!! (So, yeah... not a lot of writing going on!)

Genene said...

You blow my mind child! Awesome!!
<3

(lclmufl - what's that a lick muffle?)

Kristin said...

That's funny... when I saw the word iron, I thought of the element. LOL... I like your story MUCH better!