Wednesday, August 6, 2008

From The Jar... #13

C'mon kids! Let's all play. Even if it's just a two sentence comment in the comment box! Or, on your blog, do a novel like I tend toward! :)

And the jar says...


Describe a favorite childhood friend and some things you did with him or her.


I'd have to pick my friend Beth, hands down. That would be Beth S. from my comment box. We grew up in the same ward (church) and were best friends by third grade. We were a very silly pair. Sleepovers were our favorite. She had an early morning paper route that I LOVED to go on with her. She thought I was nuts because I liked going. My favorite paper route memory was when it snowed a bunch and we were the first people to disturb the fresh snow, leaving trails of our footprints. We would imagine someone trying to follow our print so we would do funny things like leave two left feet in a row or have one footprint backwards. I loved the still, quiet times of those snowy mornings with my best pal.

We took gymnastics together. It was awesome. I sucked at back flips and back handsprings and she was good at them. I always went crooked somehow. (Nice memory, huh? That's just what sticks out in my mind from gymnastics.) My family had a trampoline where we would pretend to be Olympic gymnasts performing our incredible feats. We would do the whole shebang- stand and put our arms up when we were ready, turn to the right and the left and then do our trick. Then we'd stand again, arms up for our finish. Then we'd give each other a score. Mostly I think we handed each other perfect 10s. Rarely anything below a nine. :) We loved the movie Nadia and I think we watched it one to many times.

I remember pretending we were gang-banging drug dealers. Nice game for kids, huh? Seems like we were in about 5th or 6th grade. We were "Chico and Chino" and we spoke in a Cheech and Chong kind of Spanish accent. We wore navy blue or red bandannas which we referred to as our "colors". She lived on a busy-ish street, and we'd hide from the cars that passed shouting to each other in our Spanish accents as we dove behind bushes, "Don't show your colors, man!" We played this game with her older brother, Eric. I think that he was the one who made it up. We would fill ziploc baggies with powder sugar and dried basil, parsley or oregano and, you guessed it, those were our "drugs" that we would sell. I don't think we ever pretended to "do" the drugs... just sell them. Apparently we were clean drug-dealers.


We would pretend that real-estate signs were gateways to other dimensions. You know the kind that is on a big post and swings freely. Ya. We would run under them and then the other person would be lost to the one still on this side of the sign. We would call out to each other, pleading, "Oh where, oh where did you go! I can't see you!!!" And then the pleading one would take a deep breath and, with a running start, jump through the "doorway" to the next dimension and we were happily reunited. It was beautiful! *tear* :)

We had so much fun talking about boys and dreaming of what it would be like get a drivers license, date boys, kiss a boy, go to college, get married, have kids... you name it, we talked about it. We romanticized something as simple as going to the grocery store or paying bills. I wish I still thought of those things as something exciting!

We were together all the time and we had an incredible friendship that has withstood the test of time. We were best friends all through high school and into our college years. As the strain of being roommates (in the literal sense of the word) in college put a slight shadow over some things, we still talked all the time. Then, last January,
our relationship underwent some reconstruction, which was pretty amazing for both of us, and it obliterated the small shadow that we didn't even realize had come between us.

To you, Beth... thanks for sticking by me through all these years. It's a rare thing, indeed to still be close to someone at age almost-thirty who was your best friend as a child. I love you and I admire your courage and your strength of heart. Love ya! :)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow! Those are great stories. I loved Nadia too and, of course, would do my handstands and whatever else with a grand finale finish also. How fun! I'll write my stories on my blog.

Kaci said...

Awhh friends are the best! :)