Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Manic Monday Explained

Seems like there's a bit of confusion for my readers as to what Manic Monday is. I shall explain in a far too lengthy post, but I was very confused once too...

I started reading my friend Maggie's blog last fall and she played Manic Monday. I didn't understand it at the time and I sent her an email asking her what it was. After that I started playing myself and it's been super fun.

So... here's how it works. Mag's friend Morgen is the one who started the 'meme'. "What's a meme?" you might ask? (I know because I asked the question myself.) I found this explanation on a website:

In science, a Meme (pronounced to rhyme with “theme”) is a self-propagating unit of thought that is spread from one host to another. Richard Dawkins invented the term as a kind of idea-gene. Like genes, as Memes spread they mutate or die. Only the fittest Memes survive.

For bloggers Memes have become synonymous with internet quizzes, surveys, and novelties that people link to and pass around on their blogs, forums and via email....

...Why Meme?

Memes are interesting content when done right, and can give you an insight into others personalities and histories that you wouldn’t ordinarily have access to. But it’s mostly about links. The initiator gets a ton of links (all participants link back to the person who started the Meme) and everyone else gets some amount of link love too. You link to the next in the chain (”tag” them) and they link back when they complete what they have to do to participate.

I don't usually do the "Linkies". I did at first, but hardly anyone knew how to play so I've been leaving them off. Check out Mo's Storm post for an example of linkies. Anyway...

Morgen, better known as Mo, picks a word and you write whatever you want that includes that word. Whatever comes to mind. Anyone who wants to play can let Mo know by leaving a link on his blog or just play quietly like I do oft times. Make sense? :)


Just a little thanks to Mo for doing the meme. It's very fun and I look forward to it every week! :)


2 comments:

Polly said...

YAY!!! Thank you thank you for the explaination. I didn't really know that you were commenting on the word storm (or any word...)
I thought it was just your theme of your post, so...I totally get it, and I may have to play along!

Brecca said...

I didn't have the full understanding either. Thanks for the information! Love your Blog!