Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's A Sickness...

I'm pretty sure that my thirst for purchasing original artwork is unquenchable. Or maybe I'm just new at it so it's very exciting? Either way, I bought another today at our little sidewalk art show. I don't have it yet or I would take a picture for you all to see. I left it there so they could put a wire hangy thing on the back of it. I am so excited about it! It is a really beautiful oil painting of an owl. Remember... one of my favorite animals? This will be the first oil painting to hang in my home. I'm kindof a watercolor girl, but this owl called to me and I had to have it! ("Who?" it called. Ha ha!! I know, I know... I'm a nerd. I just can't help it sometimes!)

I also got lucky enough to get a freebie charcoal/chalk portrait of my Ella. It's awesome and I already framed it and have it hanging on my wall! She was so serious while she sat there to be sketched. I will take a picture of that too.

Just FYI, the artist that did both the owl and the sketch of Ella also happens to be the teacher at The Creative Institute that I raved about in a recent post. He's a very talented individual. I saw the owl picture while I was in class. I've been thinking about it ever since and when I saw it today at the art show I REALLY wanted it. I asked the price and it was actually very reasonable! I couldn't resist! So, I now have two John P. Hart originals! I'm thrilled!

7 comments:

Ginny said...

I love your passion!!! I love that you have things in your life that bring you so much joy. And I love that you share them with the rest of us. Enjoy your new decor!

Maria Hart said...

It is not a sickness. It is a state of mind. It's called enlightenment! I love seeing people who can move past the idea of art being valid only if it is a cheap reproduction that matches the living room sofas. Art for art's sake! Ella's portrait really turned out nicely! Glad to hear your enjoying the purchases! Thanks for coming down to the river!

Britta said...

I love the significance attached to your passions. I haven't ventured into the world of art work too much but you've given me a lot to think about! I own one water color from a local artist in PA. It's of a one room school house that we drove past often growing up. My Grandma also taught in a one room school house so when I saw it I had to have it. I had it matted but have never had it framed. You've got a costly passion!!!!

Brecca said...

Hey, I just started a blog and I need your email address to invite you so let me know! Beetadancer@yahoo.com Thanks, Brecca

Kaci said...

Oooo I can't wait to see them!! They sound amazing!

Rachel Chick said...

Yeah! I'll have to come by and see them sometime! Hey, sorry that I'VE been the ditcher the past 2 weeks! We had a friend staying over last night (wanting to apply for Nels' old job) I got ready to go running this morning, and then was overcome with the feeling that I needed to make breakfast for everyone . . . seeing as how he had a job interview that morning and we were out of cereal! :) I'm pathetic! But I'm going to go tonight and tomorrow morning, so that I'll be rip-roarin' and ready to go on Wednesday! I won't ditch you again, I promise! :)
Also, I checked out your website! It look awesome and your pictures turned out REALLY nice! I can't get over how unbelievably good your apples look!! Holy smokes! I think I may become one of your customers! Hope that you get the site working soon! I told Nels about your issues with it and he just smirked and said, "That's too bad, but that's the name of the game with web design!" :) He's hoping you get it worked out too. :) I love the font you have! It look great and has such a nice feel about it!

What a blabber mouth I am! I should just CALL you when I have a lot to say! I'm retarded! :) How did the resume editing go?

Rachel Chick said...

LOL! I really should read through things before I post them! It LOOK like I'm retarded! LOL! :)