Wednesday, July 23, 2008

From The Jar... #11

What is your principle occupation and what circumstances led to it?


I am a mom. That is my principle occupation. It all started when I met this cute guy named Dustin... Naw. Just kiddin'! I don't think any of you really want to know the circumstances that led to being a mom.

If your principle occupation is the same as mine and you still want something to write about, tell about your husbands occupation or your secondary occupations (see below).

I have a few other things that I do... chocolate dipped treats, property management (aka- landlord). They are certainly not my principle occupation but they do bring in some income (sometimes, anyway!). We got into property management because of a house that fell into our lap that had an incredibly cheap mortgage. We knew we could rent it and cashflow on it, so we bought another house to live in and rented that one. Then we thought, "Why not buy a duplex?" So we did. When we have good renters it's the best job in the world! When we don't, it is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Chocolate dipping is a longish story. When I was in high school my next door neighbor had a little business where she sold chocolate dipped pretzels, apples, etc. My friends and I worked for her. It was a great little after school job. When my parents moved to Idaho my mom started doing it too. She did it for around ten years and got tired of it. By then she had a "fan base" so to speak and she didn't feel like she could just walk away from it. So, she offered it to me. I took it and have been doing it for almost four years myself. And, as I said in a previous post, I am now building a website for it, so maybe I can generate some more business. *insert mental image of me chewing my fingernails in nervousness here*

7 comments:

Kristin said...

I knew about your alternate occupations, but not how they came about... it's fun to read the history too.

Brecca said...

I am a mom first, a wife second, and after that I am a teller at ISU Credit Union. I love my busy life even if I wish I had a little more time for family.

Kaci said...

Chocolate did someone say chocolate?? LOL! Mmmmmmm!! :)

Polly said...

Your renters comments reminds me of why I haven't done that. LOL
I had a chocolate dipped pretzel the other day from a little specialty shop, but I only ate a couple bites...it didn't have carmel, so I couldn't enjoy it...

Mic and Jazzy said...

I would like to order one of everything that you make. I love chocolate dipped stuff!

It was really nice to see you this weekend- I know Britta really appreciated having you there!

Ginny said...

I am a wife and mother, but when I feel that my five kidlets and adoring husband are not enough to keep me stimulated, I tutor math students who couldn't survive without me (ha!). I got my degree in Math Education and taught in a few different high schools until I lane-changed to mommyhood. Ever since then I have fulfilled my love for teaching through private tutoring...all the benefits of seeing the light go on, without the hassles of school politics, overcrowded classrooms, long hours, prep work or grading!! I am the luckiest person in the world!

Ginny said...

P.S. We played landlord for three years, and I think that was enough to convince me I really don't want to have to do it again. My very least favorite part is picking new tenants...trying to guess from an application and a credit score who is going to make the best renter. YUCK! If I never have to do that again my life will be better!