Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Alien Abduction

A road trip to Phoenix makes me believe in alien life. I'm pretty sure there's some strange transporter that zaps you to another planet when you come down out of the mountains at Flagstaff. It's my favorite explanation for the strange world we dropped into... gigantic seguro cacti dotting the landscape, reaching skyward with their strange alien arms.

I have proof, you see. This is me screaming and cowering under the said abductors....

We actually figured out that these were just sentinels standing ready for when the real aliens came back. Once we figured that out, my mom and I were able to relax... even standing in the shadow of the alien guardians.

I even got brave enough to poke a little fun at this one... (No pun intended. Honest!)


These things are just SO big! I had no idea how tall they were. I've seen many pictures of these weird things, but seeing them in person was just plain crazy. OK, it creeped me out, to be totally honest.

Prickly pear dotted the landscape too. There were very large specimens of these too, but I didn't bother to get a better shot. One poke in the finger was enough!

I came to the conclusion that it's a crazy, crazy world out there with some strange, strange things to see. I'm grateful that I could get a glimpse of some of the weirdness this last weekend.

6 comments:

Britta said...

Dude, I can't get over how much you look like your Mom! I can't say that I ever noticed before that I remember anyway until now.

Reading your post and looking at your pics only brought my mind to one thing...

THE HOST!

love you!

Clancy in Idaho said...

That's funny, cuz I thought of the Host too... actually I read the Host out loud to my parents for almost the whole trip down and back. I bet I read out loud for 24 hours (not straight). That's tiresome on the voice after a while.

Rachel Chick said...

Ha! You're awesome, Clancy! You make me laugh like crazy! Glad you're back safe and sound! You ready to go running with me?! :) Give me a call if you'd like to go this evening or when would work for you! I think I could really use some good exercise to run off some emotion.

Kristin said...

What a fun post... you sure know how to make things interesting. One other thing comes to mind in a sing-song voice:

"She's got personality!"

Glad to have you back!

Maria Hart said...

My favorite part of AZ was the tremendous diversity of desert plants. There are some wickedly ugly cacti out there! There is an organ cactus that gave me the creeps. Also, I love how when the wind blows, it feels light a blow dryer... so refreshing on a hot day!

Ginny said...

Spent a summer in good ol' AZ once...don't need to go back but for an occasional visit. I loved the cacti, though!