Sunday, June 22, 2008

Manic Monday: Night

Night is my comfort. My pressure release valve. My day is filled with the bustle of mothering 3 kids, cleaning house, managing apartments, paying bills, cooking, shopping, and remembering every other detail of what needs to be done to keep things running smoothly. Night hold no a such pressure. The world is asleep and I am free to do whatever I want to do. Read, clean, blog, pay bills without interruption... the night is my own.

Sometimes I think I am a little sick because I don't know how to go to bed at a decent hour. I haven't kept track, but I bet I could count on two hands the number of times I've gone to bed before midnight in the last several months. Most nights I go to bed somewhere between 1:00 and 2:30am. Seriously. Last week I fell asleep while I was putting Rohan to bed (around 9:00) and I woke up at about 2:30am. I am embarrassed to say that I was ANGRY. I was so mad. I felt robbed of my night of uninterrupted me-time. I should have been grateful because my body probably really needed more sleep, but I was just angry.

Maybe someday I can figure out how to satiate my need for quiet me-time in a healthier way, but for now, I'm a night owl in the most extreme sense of the word.

5 comments:

Clancy in Idaho said...

Britta... I started working on this on Saturday. I wanted to write a poem, but I kept coming up dry. I've come back to it a zillion times and I finally finished! Sorry to keep you waiting... I really hadn't forgotten, just couldn't get my thoughts cohesive enough to finish. I'm glad you are on the lookout for my MM posts! FYI... I get the Manic Monday meme from a blogging friend of a blogging friend named Morgen. He posts the word on Friday (I think), so if you don't want to wait for me to post you can go first! :) My friend, Mags, usually does them too, and often earlier than me so you could check hers out too. She always has awesome posts. Mags is on my sidebar, but Morgen, aka Mo, is at http://morgenfiles.blogspot.com
Anywhoo... glad you like the Manic Monday thing. I think they're great and it's nice to have something to count on to blog about. :) Love ya!

Kristin said...

Ah! Night... that is my time too except I don't get much of it. I value sleep too much. I used to put Noah down at 7pm, so I'd get about 3 hours. That's pretty much gone now and I'm lucky if he's down by 8:45pm. Oh well! I'll take what I can get!

Britta said...

I loved this post of yours! I actually cheated and dug around in your previous posts and found a comment from another MM poster and put something together!

You've always been a night owl and while I'm envious I can barely keep my peppers open much past bed time for hte kids. Now is a little different given the pregnancy but I do so love my sleep AND my naps!

I wish I had your energy, drive and determination!

Rachel Chick said...

I hear ya sista! We should have get-togethers at night! :)

Ginny said...

I think just about any mother of young children can relate to this (which was very well said, btw). The scary thing is sooner than we realize that time will no longer be sacred as the kids will continue to stay up longer and out later. Then bed time won't be any earlier, the "night" will just filled with more anxiety!! I guess I will just enjoy it while I can!