Saturday, June 21, 2008

Glove Lines

One of the benefits of being so white that your husband calls you translucent is that when you spend two days in the sun weeding, and planting, and weeding, and poisoning weeds and sowing seeds, all the while wearing gardening gloves, you get a nice defining line on your wrists between the sunburned arms and the white hands. It's so attractive. (how do you feel about that ultra-long run-on sentence?)

I guess it's because it's been such a freakin' cold spring, but Thursday was the first day I felt like doing ANYTHING in my yard. And, as we all know, I've been so very full of willpower to do things that I don't feel like doing. (yes, that's heavy sarcasm kids!) So, I went to the flower store (or the NURSERY, as my friend corrected when I told her where I was) and bought stuff to plant! Then I came home and the real work began. I had many many weeds to pull. I did that til my fingers hurt and my back was sore and I was super sweaty, tired and sunburned. And then I did it some more. After almost two full days of weeding and poisoning, I finally planted my purchases. Look how cute!

Flowers in the front beds.


Baby basil plants next to a bee balm. (wow! I need to paint my fence!)

Italian parsley, stevia and a big chive plant (chives were planted last year)
Another baby basil plant and a volunteer butternut squash! Cute huh! I also planted spinach and tomatoes. I love getting my yard whipped into shape and I'm glad that it's finally warm enough to make it fun!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm impressed! Brett does most of our gardening (thank goodness... totally not my thing). It's not that I don't enjoy it once I'm out there, but right now if I'm going to go outside it's going to be for fun.

P.S. Cute new background... I hope you didn't feel forced to change by my lack of originality (I was gonna' change, but haven't had the energy to go look again).

Clancy in Idaho said...

Thanks! I like gardening a lot. I don't know how much I like it when I'm pregnant though, so I definitely hear you on that one.

Thanks about my new background! Don't worry about it... I didn't feel forced at all. It didn't bother me one bit that we had the same background. I just thought it was funny! You'll notice that I change my background fairly often. I just like to shake things up and it was time to shake! :)

Britta said...

love the new background and am envious of your energy!!

Ginny said...

nice work in the yard. we are always needing to be out in ours. but we have also made some good progress and it is quite refreshing to have some color and the rich brown of newly turned dirt. (and SO much easier not pregnant or with a tiny baby!!(this would be my first summer in...EVER that has happened since we were married))