Thursday, June 12, 2008

Anniversary Weekend

So, as many of you know, we went out of town without our children for our anniversary last week. If you are a parent, you know that anytime you get to go somewhere as a couple without your kids, it's a thing of beauty. We were lucky enough to be able to go for two nights and the better part of three days. My parents kept the kids. (Special thanks to Mom and Dad for your awesomeness! You SO TOTALLY ROCK!) We went to a small resort kinda place up Ogden Canyon. It was wonderful! When we go on a car trip without our kids I always marvel at the fact that I don't have to turn around and fix anybody's seat, pillow, blanket, food, toy, DVD or anything else! I can just sit, face forward, the whole trip and talk to my husband uninterrupted!

I wanted to do a quick recap of our trip so I will remember it in days to come! First of all, the drive down was nice. We enjoyed each other's company, Dustin and I. We arrived at the place we were staying, checked in, checked things out, and then left to go find some food. We ended up driving all the way back into Ogden, which is not really that far... maybe 15 or 20 minuets. We went to the Olive Garden. We were ravenous by the time we got there, so the breadsticks and salad tasted better than they EVER had! Then, our meal came. Dustin's was fine. A bit of a letdown he said, but fine. Mine was HORRIBLE. I ordered Parmesan crusted tilapia. There was something wrong with the fish. It was so nasty... it had some weird chemical flavor to it that I still cannot quite put my finger on. I also thought perhaps freezer burn? Anyway, it was nasty. They took it off my bill, but that doesn't make up for the weird things it did to my stomach that night. That's ok though. There were no major bathroom episodes, just strange stomach action.

We went back to our studio (yes, it had a fully equipped kitchen too) and flipped through the T.V. and found a movie to watch. We don't have T.V. at our house so flipping through T.V. was novel. I fell asleep with my head on Dustin's side, and, for a wonder, he stayed up almost two hours later than me! Miracles do happen, ladies and gentlemen.

We woke up kinda late... about 8:30, got ourselves ready for the day, ate granola bars, blueberries, and strawberries and headed out! We drove around the little valley we were in. It was breathtaking! We went and got some lunch at a little place right on the beautiful Ogden River. It was the best hamburger I'd had in a long time. Then we went into Ogden and wandered a bit.

We made it over to the Salomon Center and played a bit of glow golf... Miniature golf in black lights, then we just walked around.



We decided to go to a movie. So, we bought tickets for Iron Man. We had about an hour and a half to kill before the movie, so we went and checked out the indoor surfing thing they have there... FlowRider, it's called. It was AWESOME! I wanted to try it really bad, but didn't have my swimsuit. We will definitely be going back sometime. Check it out...

That guys works there... most people don't look so graceful. They just eat it... a lot! It was highly entertaining. A guy that was there with his son told us to go check out the indoor skydiving place. I was glad I saw the surfing thing first. I thought I was excited about Flowrider until I saw IFly! Holy MOLY!!! I REALLY want to try this one! This is also the instructor and he was amazing! I had just gotten my camera out, and then he finished, but you get the idea.

Oh how I wish I had the rest of the footage of him. It was SO cool. Oh well, I'll just have to go back and try it myself!

So, we killed enough time, went an watched Iron Man... loved it! Then we left and got some food at a place called Rumbi Island Grill. The main course was ok... but I got a side salad that was killer. MMMMmmmm.... I'm wishing I was eating it right now!

Went back up to our place and got a free movie rental from the front desk. We rented Hot Fuzz. It was hilarious! After it was over we flipped channels for a bit and then decided we were tired.

We got up the next morning, read for a bit, and got all showered and dressed. Then we packed up, sadly. I was bummed that our little getaway was drawing to a close. We drove into Ogden again to get some food. Stopped at a beautiful waterfall in the canyon...


Continued on into Ogden and went to the Village Inn for breakfast. I had a REALLY yummy breakfast that was REALLY cheap! ($4.89) I was thrilled. Dustin liked his too. Village Inn... who'd have thought?

After we ate I really wanted to go rollerblading. So we vacillated between blading on Weber State Campus or the Ogden River Parkway. The River Parkway won out, and I'm so glad! It was a beautiful paved path that followed the Ogden River out of the mouth of the canyon. It curved in and out of thick trees. It was simply delightful. The only bad part was it is not a loop, and we went downhill first. So, we had to go back up to get to our car. This ended up being not as bad as we thought except right at the top. We were both huffing and puffing by the time we got to the car, but we felt good to have squeezed in some exercise!

We took off the blades and were getting ready to leave town... but my mouth had a hankerin' for a Jamba Juice. We asked around and found out that the only Jamba Juice around was way out in Riverdale. We had time, so we went on a long and winding quest, and finally found it. Taste buds were satiated, and we had our little treat for the car ride home.

We got to my parents' house and realized that we did, indeed, miss our kiddos. We were happy to see them, hug them, and kiss their little faces. We jumped right back into parenthood with kids fighting all the way home. What more could a girl ask for? ;)

5 comments:

Maria Hart said...

I am glad you got a weekend away. It is amazing that such a small thing can do such big things for a relationship, especially good ones. Interestingly, our last experience with Olive Garden (in IF) was bad as well. We were there for a birthday celebreation for my mother-in-law. They messed up the food, took a very long time (difficult for starving children), and never remembered Keller's chocolate milk, even though he asked politely four times, twice to each of our two waiters. I asked three times. Pam finally had to go to the front desk and ask the manager to get it. We got free dessert, but the meal was very stressful.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great trip. Happy 10 years you guys! I love all your songs on your blog. My favorite is Run by Collective Soul (That is OUR song. Anyway, I think you are so cute and I LOVE your blog, it soomething to look forward to each day. Love ya, Brecca

Kristin said...

Okay, so I'm guilty... never read the original anniversary post and mostly just scanned this one. However, it sounds like you had a ton of fun. We almost went up Ogden Canyon for our Anniversary back in May. Maybe next time I'll consider it even more. Although, I'd be better off not pregnant!

Tresa Anderson said...

Ogden is a great place. I spend tons of time there, but, your blog is making me want to go there on my anniversary weekend!! You rock!!

lamiss ibrahim said...


nice
http://www.kuwait.prokr.net/cleaning-conditioners/
http://www.kuwait.prokr.net/