Monday, May 5, 2008

Manic Monday: Fresh



One of my favorite smells in this world is fresh cut grass. It's so clean and light. It conjures memories of childhood.
I remember when the grass would go just a little too long without getting cut, my mom would push our ancient Toro lawnmower around the lawn in little paths and leave it for a couple of hours so we kids could play on them. Our little grass paths, with the imagination of children, became roads to cruise on with our pretend cars, complete with cops, stoplights and accidents. Or perhaps those paths were hallways and rooms where we could play house. A family who slept, ate, did homework, went to school and even went to the bathroom! Sometimes it would become a labyrinth where we would get separated from one another and call for help with the drama only the young can muster. The possibilities were as endless as the sky and we were always disappointed when Mom said it was time to mow the paths down and have boring old grass again.
The sweet smell of fresh cut grass makes me happy. As does the memories of youth it churns up.

5 comments:

Mo said...

Fresh cut grass is indeed one of the best smells on the planet!
Thanks for joining Manic Mondays!
cheers,
Manic Mo

Neila said...

I have a candle that smells like fresh cut grass. That's about as close as I can get to the real thing without uncontrollable sneezing. It's a great excuse not to mow!

Alice - I Was Born2Cree8 said...

My very favorite smell is fresh cut hay drying in the fields, waiting to be baled and put up for animals to eat that winter. Ahhhhh.

Good post.

Reba @ Reba's Run said...

Whoof!! Woofenderful post. I remember as a pup, playing woof my litter mates.

Tresa Anderson said...

Like Mother like Daughter...I think I read something similar are your mom's blog.

Sure love ya!! Tresa