Wednesday, May 14, 2008

From The Jar... #1

When I was in high school, I got a "journal jar". I can't remember where I got it. It's a jar full of things to journal about. I've had it all these years thinking that I would do it, and I have come to realize that I never will, at least in a traditional journal... you know, pen and paper.

I've decided, since blogging is what I do, that every Wednesday I am going to pull something from the jar and blog about it. They are not the most creative questions on the planet, but I keep saving this jar wanting to do it, and so that's the conclusion I've come to. I would really like this to turn into a group thing! If you want to play, please comment with the answer to the question for yourself or blog a little post on your own blog and let me know in your comment that I should go look on your blog! Sounds like fun to me, so play if you wish! :)

So, first question from the jar....


Tell about the birth of your children. If you haven't yet had children, tell what you know about your own birth.

(Warning! This gets a little lengthy...)

I have been lucky enough to have three incredible children, which most of you probably know.

Mac...I went into labor with Mac (McKinley), at about midnight, nine days before my "due date". We went to the hospital at around 2:30, and at about 5:30 a.m. my water broke and I was only dilated to 5 cm. My midwife told me that, as a general rule, it's about 1 cm/hour from that point on. 45 minutes later I was pretty sure that if I had to go for another 4hrs and 15 mins. I was going to DIE! I am one who preferred not to have an epidural or any other drug (that applies to all three kids) so I REALLY thought death was a possibility! A few minutes after that I felt like I needed to push. My midwife checked me and I was dilated to a 10! She couldn't believe how fast it all went being my first baby. Nurses scrambled to get things ready for the baby. I started pushing and within minutes... 10 maybe?... he was born! It was amazing and crazy-painful, but awesome! I couldn't keep my eyes off my son! It was too weird that that baby they were weighing and measuring was mine! It was incredible. Dustin was the best coach ever! He played a huge role in my ability to go "natural". After things settled down a little, he told me, "That was the toughest thing I have ever seen in my life!" He thought I was tough stuff! :) It was a great experience!

I didn't mention the part where Dustin flushed my clothes down the toilet, but don't worry... he saved them at the last second!

This is Momma and Mac just about 12 hours after he was born.

Ella... I had false labor for almost a month during which my "due date" came and went. Every morning when I woke up still pregnant I got a little more despairing. While I, logically, knew that I wouldn't be pregnant for the REST of my life, I bawled like because it felt like I would be. I was retaining amazing amounts of water... my ankles were the size of paper towel rolls... the ones fresh out of the package, mind you! Finally, elven days over the "due date", I was up with Mac in the night, and while I was getting him back to sleep I started having contractions that were kinda painful but I didn't dare hope that it was the real deal. I got Mac back to sleep and went back to bed and had a real whopper. Still not daring to believe, I decided to time how long til the next one. 8 minutes, but that one was even worse! I then woke up Dustin. "Labor" was all I said. He jumped up and frantically ran around getting things. We had a half hour drive to get to the hospital and by the time we were there, they were pretty strong and fairly fast. My mom followed us up to the hospital, so she was there. I got to the room and my midwife checked me and I was already dilated to an 8! I was thrilled! I stayed at 8 cm for a while and my midwife suggested that if they broke my water (which I did NOT want to happen) then the baby would come right out... so I agreed. They broke my water and ZOOM! Ella was born about 10 minutes later at about 5:00 am! We didn't find out the sex before she was born, so it was a fun surprise to find out we got a girl!


Momma and baby Ella, hours old as well! (Ella, that is!)

Rohan... This was the craziest labor! The night before his "due date" I was having mild contractions. I went to bed and at about 11:45 I woke up to a big painful contraction. There was only one, so I went back to sleep. Then and 12:45 I woke up with another big one. Nothing else. Went back to sleep. Then at 1:45, another. Nothing else. I don't think I could sleep after that one though. Then, you guessed it... at 2:45 another one. It was so different than the other two I didn't know what to think! Contractions every hour!? Weird. So, I woke up Dustin and asked what he thought. We still had to drive a half hour to the hospital and we had arranged for my sister to come over to our house if I went into labor in the middle of the night. My labor went SO VERY fast with Ella that my midwife wanted me to come in as soon as we felt something. So, we called my sister, and my parents (cuz they wanted to be there for the birth) who told us to call when we got to the hospital and got checked , and packed up and went to the hospital at about 3:30 am. Got there at about 4:00. They put me on the monitor and I had one measly little contraction during that time. THEY SENT ME HOME. I was devastated. I felt like a dork. We drove all that way to get sent home. And of course the contractions started again the second I walked out of the hospital. And they came every 5-6 minutes!

So, I got home and had a few more, fell asleep for a bit... nothing. Then a few more later... it was crazy!

I noticed that I had missed a call on my cell phone. The second I saw that I realized that I never called my parents to let them know what the verdict was at the hospital. I checked my messages and my mom left a message like this: "Hi! It's mom! We haven't heard from you so I am assuming that's good news and so we're going to come up to the hospital!" (half hour away, remember!) I felt like such a dork! I called her up as she was just leaving the hospital where she was told that I was NOT. She said they'd get breakfast up there and so we decided to go walking to see if we could get things moving.

We walked around our block and the park by our house about a zillion times, or so it felt. While I was walking the contractions would be 3-5 minutes apart, but if I stopped and sat down, the contractions would stop. IT WAS SO FRUSTRATING!! Mom called during all this and I told her what was happening. She said, "Well, clearly you're in labor, so just come back up here!" I called my midwife's office (because it was about 9:30 am by now) and she said come in. So... back to the half hour drive! We got to her office at about 10:15 and she wasn't there yet. We waited for a while... with expectant mother's watching me have contractions in the waiting room. (Now that's awkward! I think I scared a few of them...) Then she arrived and checked me. I was dilated to 6 cm! Yay! So, she sent me up to the hospital, AGAIN.

Got checked in AGAIN. Labored for a while longer. Midwife broke my water and Rohan was born at 12:15 pm! We didn't find out the sex with Rohan either so what a special treat it was to find out we got another boy. He was adorable. Check it out...

Momma and baby Rohan!

Side bar: Mac was born nine days early, Ella was 11 days late, and Rohan was born ON his "due date". But... all three of them were born within a day of the full moon! Cool huh!


Whew! If you are reading this still, you are a trooper. That was long! Sorry to bore you all, but that actually was really good for me to write down. I don't think I ever have and I want it recorded. So thanks for your patience!

Until next time...

7 comments:

Britta said...

I am stoked about our Wednesday posts and need to get motivated and do the same myself! I owe a 30 week post to Adalie today and then I will get busy on this!

I absolutley loved reading about this and as you said, I'm sure it's great to have it all documented. You remember waaaaay more than I do! I love the analysis at the end that compares the three but none of the pics are showing :(

Have a great day and let's talk soon!

love you! xoxo
bv

PS Did you pick up Stephenie Meyer's new book yet this week????

Steve & Katie said...

Hey! I hope you don't mind if I read your blog! It is fun to see you what everyone is up to. I feel WAY out of the loop. I will have the summer to catch up I guess. Love ya tons!

Kate

www.forreystories.blogspot.com

Kristin said...

I'll comment on my blog, but probably tomorrow.

Rachel Chick said...

Hey!!! I loved this post and the idea! I think I'd like to do it with you! Such a good idea!
So, what doctor did you go to?

muffinmidi said...

I just discovered you blog. I really like it. I'll be reading and commenting more soon.
I don't have kids, but my mother never tires of tellng about my birth.In years to come you'll treasure that post.

Maria Hart said...

I love, love birth stories. Women are amazing. Your stories are beautiful. I will get to mine, today was a little crazy!

Leah said...

I love birth stories.

almost makes me want to have a fourth, seeing those tiny little newborn pics of your precious babies... sigh...